Rodbuilding stuff Ottawa-Gatineau

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Rodbuilding stuff Ottawa-Gatineau

Post by kingofbeasts »

Hi there,
I’m new to Ottawa (and Canada for that matter) and, since I am also a rod builder, I’m trying to build my self some new jigging rods ( I left my own one-piece jigging rods on the other side of the ocean due to transportation problems related to their length). Can anybody point me to the direction of a store that holds rod building supplies here in Ottawa-Gatineau region? I’m interested in cork, resins, guides and similar stuff. Thank you very much for your future answers.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Rodbuilding stuff Ottawa-Gatineau

Post by Walker »

There is ,to my knowledge , none in Ottawa area ,but there is HOOK,LINE AND SINKER FISHING TACKLE in Guelph and also MUDHOLE .COM.

Mark
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I ordered from Mudole and they have good products but you get an additional customs invoice when you order from them (an unplanned $20 from UPS or something IIRC). Better to order to ogdensburgh than Canada
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Post by kingofbeasts »

Thank you very much guys, I have to admit that I didn't expect that :) On the other side of the Atlantic ocean you can find at least some rod building materials in the big fishing stores (they are generally used for rod repairs) while here, not even Cabela's has some (although in the US they do carry rod building stuff ).
Ordering online from US somewhere near the border is not an option for me just yet since I don't have a US travel visa for the moment but this will definitely be an option on the future .
So it seems that for the moment I'm stuck to online orders (preferably from Canada) so if anybody knows other Canadian websites other than the above mentioned and "rodbuildersupplies.com" on west coast please share the knowledge here or on PM, thank you.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

First off, welcome! Ottawa and surrounding area's to my knowledge "As posted above" does not cater to rod builders. I have a custom built float rod 14' and I more than likely will be in the market for another come fall. The only help I can offer is a website (Ontario Based) is www.floatfishing.net They have a rod forum, and a lot of members build their own rods. Most members are Great Lakes area based, but think it would be a good start, outside of any help the gang here can and will provide if they can.

Best of luck!

F.F
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Welcome to Canada, you're gonna love it here.

OK....if you need to ship product from the US the one shipper you want to try and avid is UPS. Great shipper, but they will screw the pants off of you with Brokerage Fees. I prefer to have USPS ship my packages when available. If you must use UPS please consider sending the package to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY and then driving over to pick up the package when it arrives: https://ogdensburg-ny-2946.theupsstorelocal.com/
I have used their services many times and highly recommend going this route.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member