13 Fishing Rods

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

13 Fishing Rods

Post by Tweed »

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 13 Fishing Omen series rod (7'1'' MH casting). I wanted to hear thoughts on this rods as I have been reading mixed reviews. The rod seems well made for the price point. The reviews seems quite polarized, with some raving and others bashing, but little in the middle. Anyone have any experience with these ?

Thanks and much appreciated,
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: 13 Fishing Rods

Post by CNs »

Only thing that mattes is that you like it. Used properly (line strength and bait weight) you will quickly know if it was a good buy. Some of my favourite rods are my least expensive.

1) Crucial Jig n Worm
2) Fenwick elitetech (original black and yellow) got on clearance from lebaron. Probably my favourite crank bait rod
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Thanks for the reply and recommendations. I will check them out as well.
Tacklejunky66
Participant
Participant

Post by Tacklejunky66 »

I bought a Omen Black MH 7'1'' last winter and it was my main pitching rod for the whole summer. I fish from the bank, i had it paired with a Daiwa Tatula CT and 50# braid and was pitching and casting in thickest of weeds and lily pads. Caught some descent size pikes with it and had no issues,anything that feels bigger than 3# i wont land flip. Its stiffer than my MH Mojo Bass, but in all it seems to be a good rod for the price, no regrets buying it. Respect the specs, don't high stick it,etc and you should be fine....PS always take those reviews with a grain of salt.
Reelin' in the years
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Are you asking about the newest Omen Black rods?

If so, it looks like you get a lot of good features for the money. The cork, guide inserts and overall build look pretty good for a more budget minded stick.

After scanning a few reviews, it seems that they tapers might be a little more than some anticipated and most other complaints seem to come from the CQ side.

The problem with budget sticks is you are in a zone where some people will buy thinking this is a top end stick (having grown up with $40 combos from Canadian Tire) and others will buy knowing what they are getting. This is why reviews are so subjective and all over the place IMO.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I have 3 of the Omen Black rods, but the older gen-1 style.
2 of the 7'1" MH models, and 1 of the 7'6" MH model.

The 7'1" MH model is my favourite rod - I find the action very versatile and for the price, was unbeatable! Do I have more sensitive rods? Yes (Dobyns DX). Do I have more expensive rods? Yes. But do I have a more versatile and useful rod? Nope - the 7'1" MH Omen is the sweet spot IMO.
I actually use the 7'6" MH as a punching rod and find it has a perfect action for that, and I'm never want for more stoutness!

The only complaints I have on the Omen Black rods are that the reel lock fake carbon trim sometimes comes loose, but a dab of crazy glue and its as good as new. Also, I've broken 3 guides (one on each rod) but all of those were due to where the storage hatch door contacts my rods on my partners' boat.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Thanks for the guidance. Great responses. I'm pretty pumped to see how this rod does.

I appreciate the time guys.
Fishooz
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishooz »

How was the durability of the Omen Black rods? Can it keep up even if you yank on it hard? I've read one review that it broke about a foot from the tip.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

I have the 7'1'' MH casting rod and absolutely love it. Its not the best rod out there, but at the price point, its a great deal. The only thing I would want changed is a split grip handle rather than full cork. The rod handles very well, almost feels more on the heavy side than MH. I've been mainly jig fishing with it and no complaints thus far.