Seeking help finding a rod

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
roreilly
Participant
Participant

Seeking help finding a rod

Post by roreilly »

Hello All,

I've been a member for quite some time, but rarely post as most of my fishing is out of province. Today I am seeking your help.

Late last fall, I purchased a 7' Cabela's Lady Pro Guide Spinning rod for my 10 year old daughter. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/75916/ca ... inning-rod
Unfortunately, I didn't realize when I purchased it that this rod was soon to be discontinued, and on our first outing, due to a flaw the rod broke on the first few casts. Cabela's accepted the return without issue, but I couldn't get a replacement.

My daughter was absolutely in love with this rod, specifically because of the turquoise, and no rod that I have been able to locate for a reasonable price has met her satisfaction, so she has been devastated. I can't afford to buy her a St. Croix or G. Loomis.

Do any of you have recommendations for a replacement that meets the color requirements (Turquoise), or a Lady Pro Guide Spinning rod 6' or larger for sale?

Thank you very much.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Seeking help finding a rod

Post by lape0019 »

What was the price range of these when they were available?

The only rod that popped into my head that were close to that colour were the old Rick Clunn Wright and McGill rods. Since they don’t make that anymore, I’m not sure what to recommend.

Weight & McGill does make a Trait Zaldain (she fishes the BASS Opens and is Married to Chris Zaldain who fishes the elites) signature line. It’s a purplish colour and sells for $129 USD.

Pflueger also makes a Lady Trion that is a black with pink wraps colour. My wife has one of those and it isn’t bad for the price.
roreilly
Participant
Participant

Post by roreilly »

I forget what I paid for it, but when I tried to exchange it, they were all gone. Down to about $25.

Are the cheaper Pflueger combos any good? I saw a lot of very mixed reviews, so I avoided them, but the Lady Triton may fit the bill.

Thanks!
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Post by kingofbeasts »

For about 150 $ you might be able to have it custom built, on a painted blank (or even painted reel seat), in a color of her choice.
Mudhole has some nice coloured blanks for kids : http://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-build ... lor-Series
Here are some matching reel seats : http://www.mudhole.com/Mad-Swirl-Marbled-AERO-Reel-Seat
And here some coloured EVA for even more colour (and that's on sale) : http://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Varicolor-EVA-Grips
roreilly
Participant
Participant

Post by roreilly »

Thanks. That's a bit out of budget for me unfortunately, especially for a 10 year old.
If she truly keeps it up, maybe in a few years I would upgrade her kit, but right now I'm thinking more around ugly stik budget.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

roreilly wrote:I forget what I paid for it, but when I tried to exchange it, they were all gone. Down to about $25.

Are the cheaper Pflueger combos any good? I saw a lot of very mixed reviews, so I avoided them, but the Lady Triton may fit the bill.

Thanks!
Truth be told, she started using my bait casting setups and hasn't touched it on a couple of years. It didn't seem like a bad combo for the price (I think it was less than $100 for the combo) and when it was used, she used it for spinner baits mostly.

The new ones seem to have a Teal colour to them which is a whole lot different from the black and pink of the one my wife has.
roreilly
Participant
Participant

Post by roreilly »

The new ones seem to have a Teal colour to them which is a whole lot different from the black and pink of the one my wife has.[/quote]

That Teal/Turquoise color is what my daughter wants, but we avoided the combo because of the reviews. She already has a decent reel,
but if the one with the combo is fine, I could definitely use a spare reel. My reel is a bit small for the fish I target I do these days.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

If she's absolutely set on the colour, I don't think you have any other options.
roreilly
Participant
Participant

Post by roreilly »

I do appreciate the help. The next time I take her to Cabela's, I will see what she thinks of it.

Cheers!