Must have jigging rods on Ottawa River?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Must have jigging rods on Ottawa River?

Post by kingofbeasts »

Since I've only got to fish the Ottawa River from the banks this year, I kindly ask you guys to give me some tips about the rods most suitable to jigg on the Ottawa River from a boat (because this is my plan for the following year). Im talking about rods you won't get in the boat without, in terms of casting-weight and power ( not interested so much in brands and exact model since I will be building my own ). Targeted will be bass, walleye and northern pike. So which are the must have for you ?
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Re: Must have jigging rods on Ottawa River?

Post by kingofbeasts »

Well I hope this is not a taboo subject :D
Thing is , one of my favorites blank manufacturers is currently having a promotion on which I would very much like to take advantage of so, any advice is more than welcome at this point. I do accept private messages if you consider to be a secret the rods you are using. ;)
I promise you'll get to see pictures with the finished rods :P
Thank you very much in advance.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

6'8 to 7'2 spinning medium action fast tip is awesome for just about everything out here you can use it for a jig and minnow topwaters dropshots jerbaits tubes flukes...the list goes on.. its one of my most used sticks unless im flipping for largenouth then i like my 7'5 heavy!
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Post by kingofbeasts »

Thanks for the answer but I would like to know what jig weights do you use? Do you throw 1 to 2 oz jigs ? I have a rod for 1/4 -3/4 oz do I need something for heavier jigs or something for lighter ones ( like 1/8-3/8) ? I don’t really know how deep the river is and how strong the current is and I was trying to get a ruff idea from you guys . This year it took me half a season to figure out that a 1/4 -3/4 oz rod will do from the banks , I don’t want to lose another half from the next season to build another couple of rods for boat fishing :)
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Not that much current on the Ottawa. For walleye 3/8 should be lots. For bass I usually use 3/4 for flipping weeds. If you are going into the heavy mats I would use 1 or 1 1/2 oz tungsten.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Post by kingofbeasts »

Thanks toobinator , I will keep that in mind. It is good to know that the current is not that strong since I intend to do some ledge fishing as well.