Short rod for punching

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Short rod for punching

Post by Tweed »

Hi guys,

I am planning on learning to punch heavy cover/mats this upcoming season and am wanted to use a rod in the 7'4'' to 7'6'' range, however the longest rod I can fit in my car (with all the other gear)is around a 7'2'' rod.

I read that some of the flipping sticks have a telescoping butt section, but cant find any info on how much they telescope.

I found a couple 7' HF rods, would they do well punching, or would they lose too much leverage being that short ? I would be fishing out of a canoe that I can stand in.

Many thanks,
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Short rod for punching

Post by toobinator »

Tweed: It's tough to find a telescoping rod any more. Most companies, at least the ones I deal with have discontinued them. A 7' rod will be fine, as long as it's a true heavy. There is no standard as to what's a heavy, or medium heavy, so there's a lot of variance from brand to brand.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Thank you Ed. I appreciate the reply and info.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

I've decided to go with an shimano exage 7'2" heavy fast.its rated up to 1.5 ounce lure weight. :lol:

Cant wait until bass season. Having serious withdrawals...