Curado K vs Tatula SV

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Curado K vs Tatula SV

Post by Tweed »

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on my setups for next year. This will be my first year with decent quality setups.

I recently bought 2 tatula SV103s and 2 curado Ks. All 4 of these reals will be on shallow water setups (pitching, short roll casts, skipping, etc).

I've been pitching to targets in the basement until open water (cabin fever), and am finding the tatula to be much more versatile/user friendly. I am debating returning the curados for 2 more SV's. However the curados are super buttery and have far smoother retrieve that that of the SV's, which is making me contemplate. I also wonder if the strong breaking profile on the SVs would hurt casting distance.

I guess my question is if anyone is using the curado 200k for pitching duties, or using them mainly for long cast and retrieve techniques ? Also, has anyone put some time on the tatula SV ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Curado K vs Tatula SV

Post by David Chong »

Most of my baitcasters were Tatula SV TW last summer and they were awesome! As far as the braking reducing your distance, that's entirely up to what you're comfortable with. You can turn off the brakes and back off the cast control, of course if you end up birdsnesting your reel then...
Special Thanks to all my valued sponsors and my darling wife for all their support!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Both of these reels are quality reels. The SV braking system in the Tatulas great for pitching or skipping when your thumb is not lightning fast, the Curado K for casting, but they will require a bit of thumb at the end of the cast.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Thank you to you both for replying.

Are you setting up the SV spool tension so that there’s a little play in the spool or setting is a little tighter so there’s no play ?

I was watching a video from Brent Ehler saying that he sets it up that so that there’s a slight knock side to side. Seems kinda strange compared to how I’ve been setting up all my baitcasters in the past.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

The SV braking system works better with a little play. It is a totally different brake than we are used to.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Very interesting.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. :)
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Very interesting.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. :)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

SV fanatic here, I usually have my magdial set on 4, or 5 at the most, and lots of side to side play only because I enjoy thumbing my spool when casting.

The video you watched is what Daiwa recommends as to where you basically can’t fu$k it up, for the lack of a better term, when casting. It’s all about user preference at this point.

That being said, I’ve tried pretty much all breaking systems, apart from the DC, and by far prefer the SV concept.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Put a couple of Curado K's thru the ringer last summer for Flipping on one rod and on my Chatterbait stick. Performed well in both instances but certainly was able to bomb that chatterbait a mile with it!

RJ
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Thanks again for the advice guys.

I ended up getting carried away and picked up a Curado DC, Curado K, two Zillion SV, and a Tatula SV. Also picked up some shimano and daiwa rods to check them out. I had been using mostly Abu in the past.

Special thanks to Ed at Paddletales !
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

You're welcome.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

:D Love it!

There is no such thing as getting carried away when buying gear. I guess you will be able to figure out exactly which one you prefer. I would be interested to hear your findings.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

tweed wrote:Thanks again for the advice guys.

I ended up getting carried away and picked up a Curado DC, Curado K, two Zillion SV, and a Tatula SV. Also picked up some shimano and daiwa rods to check them out. I had been using mostly Abu in the past.

Some great choices there!

Enjoy!

RJ
David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by David Chong »

tweed wrote:Thanks again for the advice guys.

WOW, you've certainly have picked up some top quality reels! You should enjoy them all!
Special Thanks to all my valued sponsors and my darling wife for all their support!