Bait cast reels

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Bait cast reels

Post by kevinv »

Hello all:

I am looking at maybe adding a bait cast reel to my collection. I have not used one since I was 10, so I am unfamiliar with a good starter reel, and one that will not cost an arm and leg.

Second is there a real advantage to the bait cast compared to the spinning rod and reels I use most?

Thank You
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bait cast reels

Post by toobinator »

The are a few advantages with baitcasting reels. They tend to be stronger, better drag in most cases, more accurate, and most importantly less line twist. This is because the rotor in a spinning reel tends to twist the line on the retrieve just by the way it works. A casting reel is a level wind and minimizes the twist. Where the spinning reel shines is throwing light weights.

Now, with a baitcaster there is a learning curve. This curve can be shortened greatly if some takes the time (not much time really) and shows you how to set one up and cast. This is something we do at Paddletales for customers that purchase their first (or first in a long time) baitcaster.

Once you get onto it there's no going back.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Tacklejunky66
Participant
Participant

Post by Tacklejunky66 »

Like Ed said, once you get into it there's no turning back. I got back into fishing bout 7 years ago and bought my first baitcaster the following year. I now have 9 and only 2 spinning. Its a whole new experience. I fish from the bank and at times i'm stuck among tall grass, overhead tree branches, etc. with limited room to make a good cast other than a tight roll cast and a baitcaster shines at that. Give it a try, get someone like Ed to show you the setups...i didn't have that luxury i learned everything from Youtube (Flukemaster)...you wont regret it.
Reelin' in the years
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

As Ed, and Tacklejunky have said, once you get used to a baitcaster you will wonder why it took so long to get into one, and one leads to more. Your best bet hands down is to visit Paddletails and speak with Ed. He will put you on your budget, but not only that, he will give you a hands on, and information you cannot buy, or will you get anywhere else!

IMO don't wait, for if you buy now, you can take your new reel home, and get some practice of your own and be ready for open water season coming soon!

F.F
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just run out to Paddletales and have Ed hook you up with something there. He has some reels on sale that may interest you but if you are going to enjoy the experience, please do not cheap out on the reel. with a baitcaster, the learning curve will be greatly reduced if you buy a good one to start with.

My recommendation will always be a Citica or a Curado but they are not exactly cheap. These are more mid level work horse reels. Shimano did come out with the SLX not too long ago and from what I am reading, it is a great reel for the price. I do not recall the exact price but they are roughly $100USD.

Talk to Ed and see if he has any deals on them. I recall they were running a promo. I just do not know if that promo is over or not.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

lape0019 is 100% correct. I agree, if you spend a bit more you get it back 10 fold. Not that a cheaper budget reel will not do the trick, nor would I say go spend 400$ on a reel. Quality is key, and that being said, it will make the transition a lot easier, and a reel that you wished you might have got buy trying to save a few bucks. Which is totally fine, but let Ed work you through the process, and you will not be disappointed!!!!

F.F
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

better the reel the less pain in the butt it will be.
I have 2 citicas now but in between I bought a $65 Quantum
baitcaster and what a mistake, no where near the shimano brake system.
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow
David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by David Chong »

Great advice by all! The best one is not to cheap out on your baitcaster! I believe that the Daiwa Tatula SV TW is an amazing top performing reel at a reasonable cost!
Special Thanks to all my valued sponsors and my darling wife for all their support!