Jigs - line options

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Jigs - line options

Post by Tweed »

Hey guys,

I have been fighting off cabin fever and organizing tackle for next season. I have been debating line choice for my jig setup and wanted to hear your thoughts. I am not looking for any answers, i know every line has its pros and cons, just wanted to hear some opinions.

I dont often pitch jigs into heavy cover, I'd rather use the texas rig in those cases, but I do throw the jigs into moderate cover like docks, wood, grass, etc.

I prefer fluoro in these cases, but the cost is very prohibitive, especially if you need to respool a few rods over the season. I also like braid, but i feel it lacks the slack line sensitivity of fluoro. (I have been focusing hard to "follow the lure down" with braid to control slack). I have been leaning this season towards Yo-Zuri Hybrid copoly, as it seems to have lower stretch than most fluoros, decent sensitivity, strength, and the price is very agreeable on the bulk spools since yo zuri lowered the price down.

What kind of line to you guys use for you jigs ?

*thanks in advance for the discussion, and helping to combat my bassin-withdrawals.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Jigs - line options

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Interesting question/thread.

I can only offer what I would do, and know everyone has a preference, or idea, so I don't think there is a wrong answer, which there is not, only preference, and what works for whoever is using what works for them.

I differ from you on both scenarios: For "Heavy cover" ever since I started using braid (ESP) for heavy cover, I have never looked back. The no stretch, and confidence of tossing into the ugliest hang out for big buckets, has just proved, and help me use braid as a staple any time I find thick heavy cover. The "Up Down" is a perfect example. You find a giant mat, you fish the edge, you toss a frog over top, but you know someone lives under it, and is just waiting for Uber eats to ring the bell. I take a heavy jig, 1/0z or better, toss up high, and let it punch the mat to get through with my delivery option. The same goes for deep open water weed beds. I prefer the no stretch for a solid hook set while fishing a big jig or heavy weighted tube for a solid hook set up tight to heavy cover, or long flips to deep water weed beds or structure. To me it is a confidence thing.

As per wood, I would 75% of the time fish braid, but in clear water, as well as docks with little surrounding cover, grass, pencil weeds, and open water floating cover in shallow to moderate depths, for sure 17-20 flourocarbon 100% of the time. I will differ on water clarity, and rod options, but sparse cover or out side heavy cover I'll opt for Flouro. For the junk, I'll always got 50-65lb braid. I also mainly flip docks, wood, and other cover with a texas style plastic. I 98% of the time will only use a jig for heavy cover, and deep water weeds, or structure.

This again is my preference, and there is only right answers to what the persons preference is. Some work better for others, but this is what works for me.

Great thread!!!

F.F
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Great response ! Was really cool to read.

When you're fishing fluoro, is it as a main line or leader ?

I completely agree with the braid in the thick stuff. Every season I find myself growing more fond or punching. It may be fondness or growing confidence that I'll get the fish out. Not sure yet :wink:

Thanks for your contribution the the fight against cabin fever
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I would recommend using straight fluoro or braid rather than a fluoro leader. When flipping you often set on slack line. Fluoro does not like the shock and has a tendency to break at the knot between the 2 lines.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

110% agree with Ed. I never use a Flouro lead when flipping. I use a Flouro lead for drop shot, senko, maybe skipping a tube under dock but mainly will use a lighter braid in that circumstance for accuracy, and quick hook sets. As Ed mentioned, the shock from a quick hook set will more than likely not hold at the knot esp with the drive of a hook set on a jig. I also run strait Flouro for all crank bait set up's and spinner baits.

F.F
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Also as per re-spooling a few reels over the season, I did not last year, but heading to Ed's is a great way to save by having him or his staff spool your reels for you. It's a time and money saver, and your not left with a 1/4 spool of line. And not to knock any Flourocarbon lines out there, in the last few years I 150% SWEAR by "Sunline" Esp for my crank bait, and spinner bait set-up's. The stuff is like casting silk. My personal opinion.

F.F
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

Thanks for all the replies !

This group is simply awesome. I digest so much bass media through bassfan, youtube, (even bass university to be honest), however it's all generally info geared towards angling in the southern states. It's really great and very much appreciated to talk fish with local guys.

I have been struggling getting confidence that braid and its visibility. Its seems that braid is quite popular in the area, even with the clear water. I guess if a bass will hit an A-rig, or spinnerbait they can't be very line shy. I love the feel of a hookset with braid though, no question there.

After reading the replies, I'm leaning towards braid for my main jig rod, which will be used for both for heavy cover and open-water/wood/rock. Once my kids are a little older and out of daycare, I can probably afford some fluoro, hahaha. jk

I'll come see you Ed for re-spooling. Thanks for the tip Floatfishin

Thanks again guys.
Pancake
Participant
Participant

Post by Pancake »

You can propose to understand easily.