Eskimo 8”Pistol bit w DCD777

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Reel Canadian
Participant
Participant

Eskimo 8”Pistol bit w DCD777

Post by Reel Canadian »

Evenin’!
I have an Eskimo Pistol bit 8” auger that I paired up with my Dewalt DCD777. With the battery packs that come with it are way to underpowered (20v 1,3ah), but when I put a 60v (10ah) battery, it works for up to 20 holes. However, after 5 holes, the drill will start smoking. After a 5 minute break, it’s good to use again. I’m just worried that I’ll blow the drill. Does anybody know why it dies this/any suggestions as to what to do (new drill, batteries, etc)

Thanks!

Jacob
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Eskimo 8”Pistol bit w DCD777

Post by smitty55 »

Reel Canadian wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:48 am Evenin’!
I have an Eskimo Pistol bit 8” auger that I paired up with my Dewalt DCD777. With the battery packs that come with it are way to underpowered (20v 1,3ah), but when I put a 60v (10ah) battery, it works for up to 20 holes. However, after 5 holes, the drill will start smoking. After a 5 minute break, it’s good to use again. I’m just worried that I’ll blow the drill. Does anybody know why it dies this/any suggestions as to what to do (new drill, batteries, etc)

Thanks!

Jacob
That drill is well under powered, that's why it's smoking as it overheats. You will burn it out if you keep using it. Recommended drills are impact drivers used on the drill setting at low speed for max torque due to their heavier duty construction. Also that drill is only rated fro 500 in/lb, not nearly enough power. Ideally you want to be around or ever 1000 in/lb of torque. Time to spend some coin.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

I think the drill is a bit underpowered for use with the pistol bit. Eskimo recommends a minimum of 725 in/lbs of torque The specs I found for the DCD777 indicate it has a maximum of 65Nm (575 in/lbs) of torque.

I picked up the 8in pistol bit for this ice season too and paired with the DCD996. The DCD996 has 95Nm (840 in/lbs) of torque. I haven't run into any smoking issues. The kit I bought came with 2 5Ah batteries.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

smitty55 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 pm
Recommended drills are impact drivers used on the drill setting at low speed for max torque due to their heavier duty construction.
Smitty, when you say impact driver are you meaning a hammer drill? I haven't heard of anyone using an impact driver with an auger.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Fisherman89 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:26 pm
smitty55 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 pm
Recommended drills are impact drivers used on the drill setting at low speed for max torque due to their heavier duty construction.
Smitty, when you say impact driver are you meaning a hammer drill? I haven't heard of anyone using an impact driver with an auger.
Yep, for sure that's the kind of drill you want. They are a much heavier construction but you don't use it on the impact setting, just the lowest drill speed setting.
Smitty

Straight shooter