Main Menu

Statistics

Total posts 338908
Total topics 39988
Total members 7494
Our newest member corporategifts

G'day

INTRODUCE YOURSELF FIRST TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE REST OF THE SITE

Tell us a little about yourself, where you're from, how long you've been fishing, what your interests are etc.....and you will be given posting permission in all other forums. Failing to do so and you will only be able to read.
Forum rules
This forum is designed to accomplish 2 things: 1) Get to know you 2) SPAM Prevention
  • Supported By...

G'day

Postby mvlasic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:30 pm

G'day, I've been in Ottawa for over 35 years now. I fish for bass, pickerel, and trout, but mainly it's about being outside for the day. I typically head out to back country in Algonquin Park or nearby for lakers during the first week of May -- that sweet spot between ice-out and black flies. When I'm out in the boat and it gets hot, I'll bring swim trunks and take a dip to cool off. Catching something is a bonus, but it's not necessary. My wife joins me sometimes in the boat; then we bring a picnic lunch and she'll bring some books or magazines.

I belonged to this group some years ago, but there were major issues with the site. I lost access so I just gave up on it for a while.

I have a 16' canoe, a 13.6' Swift pack boat, and a 17' Princecraft. I prefer to fish shorelines and keep moving -- my main target is usually bass. Trolling is okay but can be a bit boring, IMO.

My son was about 10, and we were fishing a pond accessible only by canoe. It was full of largemouth, and I was catching them but he wasn't, so he was getting a bit fed up. He was finally old enough to listen, so I showed him how to cast into a dent in the weed cover, wind up the slack, count to 5 slowly, letting the weedless-rigged plastic worm fall, and then told him to start gently twitching his rod tip. He got his first 5 lb largemouth, and was too scared to touch it, but man, the look on his face. He's never looked back, and often outfishes me.

Biggest fish was a 14 lb pickerel caught on the Montreal River near Cobalt, Ontario. Caught it on a plastic jig bounced off the bottom in fast water. Surprised the hell out of me. It was my son's first time camping, and he enjoyed his first shore lunch with a couple of smaller ones we caught. The 2 of us will be heading to Bark Lake in May.

Long ago I worked in northeastern Ontario above Lake Abitibi. A friend took me out fishing for speckles -- the gear was a 10' bamboo pole, 12' of line, a small spinner, and worms. Caught a lot of tasty trout that way.
mvlasic
Participant
Participant

Re: G'day

Postby scarkner » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks for sharing, love the stories too!!

Welcome back!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Return to Introduce Yourself