Main Menu

Statistics

Total posts 338908
Total topics 39988
Total members 7494
Our newest member corporategifts

Greetings and Barrhaven advice!

INTRODUCE YOURSELF FIRST TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE REST OF THE SITE

Tell us a little about yourself, where you're from, how long you've been fishing, what your interests are etc.....and you will be given posting permission in all other forums. Failing to do so and you will only be able to read.
Forum rules
This forum is designed to accomplish 2 things: 1) Get to know you 2) SPAM Prevention
  • Supported By...

Greetings and Barrhaven advice!

Postby smallfry » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:49 am

Hi all,

I am a 100% newbie angler in Barrhaven and I'm looking for spots to fish around there.

I am licensed and will be doing catch and release. I don't really care too much about the species, but bass would be cool...

Any decent spots on the Jock or Rideau?

This looks like a great forum.

Cheers
smallfry
smallfry
Participant
Participant

Re: Greetings and Barrhaven advice!

Postby Fishoholic » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 am

Greetings smallfry,

Halfmoon bay on the jock river or jock River landing where the jock meets Rideau are spots I've fished from shore in Barhaven. Also just above the last damn on the jock I've caught some bass. Good luck.
Fishoholic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Postby zippyfx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Chapman Mills conservation area, Black Rapids, Kars boat launch, Watsons Mill are all short bike rides.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Postby smallfry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks Fishoholic and zippyfx!

I actually went to the Chapman mills CA and Long Island Locks last friday, but I didn't catch a thing! Oh well, I need casting practice anyway. :roll:

Are there more fish near/in the Jock river than the Rideau otherwise?
smallfry
Participant
Participant

Postby zippyfx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:51 pm

More fish in the rideau but you can get nice pockets of fish in the Jock occasionally. The rideau is having a tough time right now with water levels so fishing maybe tough until things settle. When conditions are tough worms and minnows may work better than lures.

I have never had any luck at the bottom of those locks....

If you walk the trail from the jock river landing upto wards barhaven you may be able to find some nice spots. Beware of poison ivy and wild parsnip though.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Postby Fishoholic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:40 pm

2nd zippyfx, the Rideau would have more fish. Bigger water usually equals bigger and more fish but there are some nice fish lurking in the jock. My good buddy got a 9 pound walleye outta the jock back in high school. There's also bass, lots of axe handle pike and I've caught a small Muskie out of there (more toward Richmond though). Also suckers and carp etc. I haven't fished the jock in a few years though but best advice would be bright colours....it almost like fishing in chocolate milk.

Live bait is always good too when the going gets tough, hard to beat the real deal.
Fishoholic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Postby smallfry » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks guys. I'll give it another go... I was using small Mepp's Agila and some small bucktails to no avail... live bait next time for sure.
smallfry
Participant
Participant

Return to Introduce Yourself