Main Menu

Statistics

Total posts 338916
Total topics 39992
Total members 7494
Our newest member corporategifts

New to Ottawa Fishing

INTRODUCE YOURSELF FIRST TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE REST OF THE SITE

Tell us a little about yourself, where you're from, how long you've been fishing, what your interests are etc.....and you will be given posting permission in all other forums. Failing to do so and you will only be able to read.
Forum rules
This forum is designed to accomplish 2 things: 1) Get to know you 2) SPAM Prevention
  • Supported By...

New to Ottawa Fishing

Postby CalderMac » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Hey,

I recently moved to Stittsville from Cape Breton and am starting to get into fishing here which has been a bit of an adjustment without the ocean and the Bras D’or salt water lakes. I’ve been fly fishing during the summer and fall and catching on well but am looking to start ice fishing. My main question is are there any locations in the Ottawa area where you can catch a few dozen rainbow smelt through the ice? This was always a go to for us back home and would like to try it out.
CalderMac
Participant
Participant

Re: New to Ottawa Fishing

Postby smitty55 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Gidday lad and welcome to the forums. There used to be a good smelt fishery on Muskrat Lake up at Cobden. To be honest I have no idea what it's like anymore, perhaps some other members here can chime in. Most folks go up there for Lake Trout.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Postby lape0019 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 am

I did a quick google search because I had never heard of (or paid attention to I guess) Rainbow Smelt. It looks to me like there are a few areas that have them but they are not native to our area. I am sure you can find other smelt but from what I read, it seems like the St. Lawrence and its water shed may have them but that's about it.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Postby Fishoholic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 am

Muskrat has rainbow smelt. I've personally never targeted them but we get some incidental catches. I know guys target them there as my dog always snatches a couple from unsuspecting anglers.
Fishoholic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Postby andrew1234 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40 pm

I could be mistaken but im pretty sure when i was a kid about 25 years ago i would catch smelt on the gatineau river near the dam on the 307 about a km from the metro.
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Postby smitty55 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Fishoholic wrote:Muskrat has rainbow smelt. I've personally never targeted them but we get some incidental catches. I know guys target them there as my dog always snatches a couple from unsuspecting anglers.

That's good to hear. What I recall there is groups of shacks out in the big water. Things would be quiet until large schools would swim by and then things would go crazy for a while until the school moved on. Guys used a drop shot style method with 3 or 4 small hooks tied directly to the main line with a large weight on the bottom. Bacon was a preferred bait.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Return to Introduce Yourself