fishing reels for the disabled....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fishing reels for the disabled....

Post by spanky »

Just wondering if anyone knows of any reels that are made for the 1 handed fisherman?

I'm having surgery on my wrist in a month (1 1/2weeks before bass opener :cry: ) and will be out of commision for apx. 3-6 months, but would like to continue fishing during that time. I can only use my right hand, so i'd need an electric reel... anything you've seen may help, especially if i have to resort to making my own reel... heck, if anyone has any ideas on motor/gears and what to pull them from that'd help alot aswell...

I've seen several sites, but the reels are well over $500. U.S....

thanks guys/girls
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

I remember a company called Royal Bee that used to make electric reels. Bill Saiff on Rod and Reel used to promote these on his show. Not sure if the company still exists. Did a search on Google but no results. Good Luck!
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

Thank you DV_8!!!... searched for royal bee fishing and came up with a site that sells them, pricey at $400. U.S.... but it gave said what type of motor it uses, so i think i'll be making my own, that just got me over the last hurdle... that helped ALOT thanks!!!! :)
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

No problem bud! Glad to help. That's what this site is all about. Good Luck with your reel. Cheers!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI SPANKY

THERE SOME GREAT REEL IN HERE'''''''''

fhnbinc.org/gear.html
store.accesstr.com/page.cfm/pageid/71

and go on yahoo.com and right,,,,,,,,,,,,van's e-z cast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that a nice reel not to expensife to,,bellow 200$,,,,,,,,,,

but i am sher you can build somthing yourself not to hard,,,,,, :wink:

good luck,,,,,,,,

if you build one show us the picture,that would be interesthing,,, :wink:

joco :P
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi sparky

YOU could used a hand held screwdrivers,,,,,,,,,or a drill that work on batterie,,,,,

just have to work,the gearing,,,,,but you can always play wit the drag, :wink: ,,,,,,

sound like a very nice project,,, :P

joco :)
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

Thanks joco!!

The cordless screwdriver is what i'm planning to use, just have to find a higher torque motor that is still light weight.... then it's just a matter of deciding on a type of reel, thinking spinning, and then acquiring said parts.

Should be able to make the thing for under $50. including the reel... will only need it for 2-3months (hopefully), so i can't see spending any more than that :lol:

Thanks again guys :)
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

Just read a blurb in Bassmaster about using a belt with a tube that would be tight on the rod but and just use your good hand to reel. No pic or much mor than that. Ask Uncle Hommer section of the new Bassmaster.
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

the only problem with using my left arm to support the rod is that when i have the surgery it will consist of cutting 3mm off my forearm bone, so i'll be black and blue from half way up my fore arm to the back of my hand... i'll be having radial shortening for sure and he'll likely take car of the carpel tunnel while it's opened up and he's there...

Meaning i've got no use for 6 weeks while the bone recovers from being cut and then i have to re-learn how to grip/rotate things again, so no support :cry:

Should have mentioned that in the original post :)
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

This was his reply for a 1 armed angler I assumed amputated. If that doesnt work I watched a guy on tv fish with no arms he would cast reel and change baits with his feet. Should have seen him lip the fish made my daughter watch what you can do if you want to bad enough.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

Good luck with your surgery. I wish I had thought of that when I had my wrist ball joint replaced. It would have made the time off more bearable.
Lots of luck with the fishing 1 handed as well.
Norm L.