Pike Lake & Newboro Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
PhillyBass
Participant
Participant

Pike Lake & Newboro Lake

Post by PhillyBass »

Hi Everyone,

I love this site. I've been checking in for the past 2 weeks and all the tips and pics have got me chomping at the bit. I'll be fishing Pike and Newboro Lakes next week for bass and pike and was wondering what your thoughts were on "MUST HAVE" lures for each species. Also, if anyone has fished these lakes, I'd appreciate any tips. PS - I always throw them back cause I'd like my 3 & 5 year old girls to have a chance at them in a few years.
BrettM
Participant
Participant

Post by BrettM »

For bass I like Wacky Worms, any brand works, Senkos, Dingers, it doesn't matter. I find red lands a lot of big fish, but have had good success with both a chartruse and a darker green/black.

For pike, I don't think anything works better than a spinnerbait. I like to keep the colours lighter, with much of my luck lately coming on a blue and yellow.

Topwater is always fun. Had the best luck on a floating topwater frog. Mostly for bass, but have had some nice pike take it too.

BrettM
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Newboro has ALOT of prime lookin shore line :shock:

There is plenty of fish on the shore lines, but dont forget to try em a bit deeper too.

Tubes, jigs, and senkos will hammer bass, for the toothies, try bright spinnerbaits, in shallow burn em fast, deep work em slow.

Shallow, try a willow leaf blade combo, and deep try a Colorado blade in eaither gold or painted.

F.F
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

fished pike lake last month, had a good day out, using white spinnerbait as well as white yum yum 4" tubes, sorry i can't help you with newboro lake, have fun.
GamblerSteve
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fishing

Post by GamblerSteve »

Just stick to Pike Lake there's no good fish in Newboro! :lol:

Steve
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hi pb!

Hope you do fantastic with both fishing and family fun on your upcoming trip.

Meanwhile, some favorite lures of mine which have been treating me pretty well this summer are:

6" trolling worm (YUM, Powerbait, Gulp) rigged Tx-style for largies -- either weightless or with a small splitshot -- barely moving along the weeds or shoreline. This seems to get strikes even on slow days.

Spinnerbaits for either largies OR pike.

Mepps spinner with #5 blade to target pike (may get you largies, too) -- bucktail color with some black or red is good.

Take pictures!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.