Question for Mc Q... or anyone really

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
sorry about that chief
Participant
Participant

Question for Mc Q... or anyone really

Post by sorry about that chief »

Scenario...

Up in the Gouin/Clova area.. been there a few years now.. tried a different outpost this year... Anyways,he water was high this spring... we have a rental boat and 9.9... Got it wide open in the middle of the lake.. BOOM! hit an un-marked rock.. hard.. motor is in bad shape.. Our other boat tows us in.. Loose a days fishing. We were never told of the rock (in he midde of the lake!).. We eventually get set up again with no help from the staff.. On leaving the lodge the manager tells us that we're the 2nd ones to have hit that rock this week.. The other motor is in worse shape than ours.. And by the way.... Leave an extra $500... we'll bill you the rest when we find out how much it costs... You never told us about the rock we say! guy says he wasn't there.. It's not marked! That would take too long he says.. It's the 2nd motor this week! Too bad, you got no freakin insurance??? Are you kidding, he said..that would cost too much!Well, after some words.. we eventually came to an agreement... Lets say we are not happy with it and this thing is not over.. by a long shot.. Just wondering if anything like this has happened to you or anyone else out there? We could have been seriously hurt, we lost a days fishing, and we're out more cash?? We'll thats Quebec for you I guess.. Strange place.. Sad thing is.. we ate so much walleye it was comming out our ears.. And we brought our limit home.. Also, any outfitters in the area that you've had good experiences with would be appreciated.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Any outfitter or any business renting boats normally has insurance on their boats.

You might be responsible for the deductible, though, depending on the rental contract. If there was no contract covering possible damage to the boat/motor, I wouldn't be paying him anything.

In your case, I don't blame you for being pi$$ed. I know what I'd do with his bill. :wink:
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

If there is one thing you can count on while fishing the Gouin it's meeting up with those scattered granite landmines.

I have been going to lodges in the area for 20 years now and have yet to break a motor. Near misses - lots and a couple of pranged props that were not serious.

I do carry my Trak Maps and even then when fishing virgin waters take extra precaution like bringing a portable sonar with me and using it in unknown waters.

It's not my place to tell an outfitter what to do, I can only make suggestions and marking hazards is one of them. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that certain operators are running marginal operations with limited staff, as a result certain things just don't get done. I don't use their facilities - it's simple.

Sure I can recommend my favorites and would be glad to, just send me a PM.

With regards to the repair scenario, I'm of mixed feelings - you were operating the boat so the onus is on you to navigate safely. Now that doesn't negate the lack of hazard markings so compromise is necessary. I'm taking from your post that the result was so arranged.

With regards to insurance and the realities of outfitter costs.

Price and value go hand in hand, most outfitters are beaten into the ground haggling over pricing their services. If attracted to a cheap service then it stands to reason that it's barebones and the lack of insurance is obvious. By the way; did you have a map?

Of the hundreds of lodges & outfitters I have been to over the years most self insure. Insurance contracts are just too expensive. Another point is that smaller operations usually don't even have rental agreements . You should always enquire about your boat liability before booking your trip and on arrival ask about water hazards, it only takes a couple of minutes.

I'll pay an operator or outfitter a fair price for the service and comfort I want. I'm on vacation and don't want any hassles. Dealing with the stresses such as we all do during the rest of the year warrant peace and tranquility while relaxing with a fishing rod in hand.
sorry about that chief
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the feed back guys.. As it stands now.. The owner can either use the $500 to fix the motor or use the $500 for a downpayment next year and we will be back in years to come.. So it's up to him.. We currently haven't gotten a response (not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing). For the record.. There was no rental contract, no map was given to us but we did have our own.. purchased back in Ottawa.. Topigraphical only.. Never told of the rocks.. etc.. McQ, you make a good point.. you get what you pay for... Not to say this guy was cheap.. but not the most expensive either.. Let's put it this way.. when we got up there he had us booked in the wrong cabin.. Either that or he didn't even know we were coming.. keep in mind we've been fishing Quebec for about 15 years ourselves.. So we've seen some wild things.. no propane, fridge not working, no sheets or utensils, once the had no fridge at all.. Hey every Quebec fishing trip is a learning experience.. We've always said if Ontario had anywhere close to the fishing Quebec did we'd never go back.. Sad thing is you can't find an outpost camp with that quality of fishing without going fly-in in Ontario.. and even then.. who knows?? The lesson this year is to always ask about the rental agreement.. McQ, I will PM you, and again.. thanks for the responses..
sorry about that chief
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the feed back guys.. As it stands now.. The owner can either use the $500 to fix the motor or use the $500 for a downpayment next year and we will be back in years to come.. So it's up to him.. We currently haven't gotten a response (not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing). For the record.. There was no rental contract, no map was given to us but we did have our own.. purchased back in Ottawa.. Topigraphical only.. Never told of the rocks.. etc.. McQ, you make a good point.. you get what you pay for... Not to say this guy was cheap.. but not the most expensive either.. Let's put it this way.. when we got up there he had us booked in the wrong cabin.. Either that or he didn't even know we were coming.. keep in mind we've been fishing Quebec for about 15 years ourselves.. So we've seen some wild things.. no propane, fridge not working, no sheets or utensils, once the had no fridge at all.. Hey every Quebec fishing trip is a learning experience.. We've always said if Ontario had anywhere close to the fishing Quebec did we'd never go back.. Sad thing is you can't find an outpost camp with that quality of fishing without going fly-in in Ontario.. and even then.. who knows?? The lesson this year is to always ask about the rental agreement.. McQ, I will PM you, and again.. thanks for the responses..