Dock Plans

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Buck Fever
Participant
Participant

Dock Plans

Post by Buck Fever »

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am planning on putting a dock in the water. Does anyone have any plans to start me off? Also does anyone have any suggestions. I am in the planning stage right now. I am hoping to make it 6 by 12 or 14 or something like that.

I am not sure whether to make it a floating dock or one with supports.
Any help would be appreciated. If you don't want to reply here please PM me.

Thanks
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Buck Fever,

Great topic -- my husband & I were just discussing some potential plans for our (future) dock. We both are leaning against floating and bantering about wood vs. aluminum. We'd also like a dock that's wide enough at some point to accommodate a chair or two for just hanging out. But the bigger the pricier :roll: ...so we're tossing ideas around, too!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
clown worship
Participant
Participant

Post by clown worship »

Just to throw my two cents in here, and hopefully help avoid heartache later on...
You have to be really careful with docks now, your only option may be a floating as on most waterways there is severe restrictions against anything that has the potential to change the shoreline. Check into your local allowances otherwise you may build only to have to rip it out or pay a huge fine. In addition depending on size/use, (if you want to put chairs on it) you may have to have the plans drawn up by a pro for permits to be signed off on.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

MuskieStalker just built himself a slick little floater with plans he got from Dow.

http://www.canadianfishing.com/download/dowdock.pdf
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

There awsome i built a new 8x12 and installed it three weeks ago , the billits are the way to go . The dock used 3 and it is very stable and sits high out of the water .You get a compleat material list with the palns . I have two tips one sub stainless rod 3/8 for the 16inc carrige bolts . Two
you can find all the other hardware at Home Depot, The Billets are around 100 bux This dock cost me aprox 900.00 to build using pressure treated
Tight lines

:lol:
Drop me a line if you run into any issues but i have never done this before and it worked great for me

Kert Lavigne
Muskie Stalker
:lol:
Buck Fever
Participant
Participant

Post by Buck Fever »

Thanks for the info. Does anyone else have anything. I am planning on starting this weekend.

Thanks
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Stainless???

Post by Cancatchbass »

MS1:

Curious why you would want to use stainless anything on a dock. :?

We have over 3 miles of dock at the National Park I work at. All hardware is galvanized. No problems- even with some 50 year-old docks that get heavy use all season long.

Galvanized hardware will outlast any Pt wood, cedar, etc. you can buy.

Tom
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

Galvanized is great all the hardware i used was galvanized , the problem is getting 16inc long 3/8 galvanized carriage bolts thet are just not available here. So i found the next best thing that would not rust out over time
Kert
Muskie Stalker
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ah...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Hi again:

I just looked at the plans (wouldn't load at work).

The 16" carriage bolts used are only for attaching the billets to the frame, apparently.

Although we use 16" cap screws for some applications at the Park (mostly for shore cribs), I can honestly say I've never seen a 16" carriage bolt. Must be a real specialty item.

For this dock, a 16" piece of threaded galvanized rod with washers and nuts on both ends could be used. Available at most hardware stores in 4 foot and longer pieces, easily cut to length.

On the St. Lawrence there is a problem with muskrats- they will eat dock floats made of foam and have even chewed through the heavy duty polyethylene resin floats we are currently using. :shock:

CCB