fall live bait

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

fall live bait

Post by Jebby »

hey whats every1s fav live bait for fall walleye... also how to u rig them (and hook them) i like leaches in summer but minnows in fall on a jig.... how is the best way to hook a minnow on a jig?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I rig them thru both lips, but this year i'm going to use a small piece of plastic to keep them on the hook.

Dan
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Hey Guys !
I use the 'both lip' technique for smaller minnows. I then use a piece of aquarium tubing to keep the minnow on the hook. For larger minnows I run the hook into their mouth and then out the gill. I find this keeps them alive longer. I also use a piece of tubing to keep them on the hook as well. I had some success with this rig last weekend. Good luck and good fishing ! :)

Cheers,
Dave
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hi Guys

Can you explain how the plastic tubing help keeps the minnow on?

Steve
lars56ca
Participant
Participant

Post by lars56ca »

instead of a piece of plastic tubing, I use a hole punch and punch out the plastic lid of a coffee can. It serves 2 purposes...keeps the minnow on the hook better and it also adds a bit of colour if I think it's needed. The red and orange tabs seem to work especially well
Ben Daniels
Participant
Participant

minnow

Post by Ben Daniels »

In Florida with shiners people always went in the mouth out the nostril. It seemed to keep them alive for a long time. But I'm curious what you guys think is the best way.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

I rig my minnows by opening their mouths, sticking the hook through it's lower jaw by going downwards, turning the hook around and sticking them lightly in the flesh next to their gill plates. The minnows stays alive and the bait is rigged solidly so, I can bomb a long cast (from shore)without having to rebait every other cast.

Manny
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

thx guys... from waht i gather through the lips is proboblyu most common... i usually get um through the gills or if there big through there back... what type of rigs is this for? jig hook/slip sinker. ect ect... thx

jebby
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

If the bite is off, the two lip method will keep the bait alive until a fish comes along to eat it, but losing the bait and light bites can be a problem. Otherwise, if the bite is steady, through the mouth and out the back of the head will keep the bait on and handle those fussy takers that nip the bait off by the tail. This subject was recently on AnH with Big Jim Mc. He showed the 2 lip, back of head and something similar to Manny's description.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

If i'm floating a minnow, and if it's slightly bigger in size, I'll use a treble, and hook them either just under the dorsal fin (carefull not to hit the spinal cord) or in the fleshy part between the dorsal and the tail, below the spine.
lars56ca
Participant
Participant

Post by lars56ca »

another option is a stinger hook. I like to use a small # 10 treble hook. it's not very often you'll miss the light biters with a treble as a stinger
Ben Daniels
Participant
Participant

question

Post by Ben Daniels »

Is it legal to use a jigging spoon with a treble hook and a trailer treble hook with a tipped minow? or is there too many hooks
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D i would say legal
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

steve2112.....
The tubing is placed on the hook after the minnow is put on the hook, to prevent the minnor from sliding back up the hook and off, since the tubing doesn't tear like the fishes flesh after a few casts
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

For vertical jigging or Ice fishing, I like to hook minnows just behind the head, about 1/16th of an inch into the flesh, any deeper and it kills the minnow.

When the bite is slow, I'll reverse hook them on a jig.
Try reverse hooking a spry minnow so that its head faces away from the jig head. Run the hook point through the belly and out the back – behind the dorsal (top) fin. Hooking a minnow this way averts penetrating entrails, thus allowing it to swim freely, and for a long period of time. Using a lively minnow lessens the need to jig feverishly. While working a jig and minnow in deep water I like to simply lift and lower the rod tip with smooth one-foot motions.