First trip B.O.Q.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
walleyejohn
Participant
Participant

First trip B.O.Q.

Post by walleyejohn »

My son and I finally made it to b.O.Q. last weekend, Oct. 20, 21, 22. We live in Maryland and could not wait to catch acouple of those big eyes. We trailered a 20' bow rider up, not exactly a fishing boat but it worked well.Jeff and I got to Foster's on Friday morn in a pouring down rain. We rested up for a while and finally got the boat in the water about 4 and fished till about 7 with no luck. Lots of wind and rain, water temp according to the depth finder was 50 degrees. Saturday looked promising, We fished about all day with Erie Dearies, Trolled with deep divers and tried our downrigger at Various depths where we were marking fish, no luck. Sunday we woke to windy, rainy weather, but gave it atry anyway. About noon with no luck again we gave up and headed for home, a long drive. We did catch quite a few nice perch that got us a little excited but that was about it., we were only fishing the narrows, maybe we should have gone farther down the bay, I don't know. I really like the towns of Deseronto and Picton. They remind me of my hometown in Pa. Do the walleyes move up the bay later on, or were they just not hitting? I would like to go again but I would like more info on wher to go and when to go, any help would be appreciated
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D From what I have seen the fish seem to be out a little further. I am sure the weather doesnt help
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

walleyejohn; apparently the walleye come right up the Bay from Lake Ontario and into the narrows but when we were there last weekend the only walleye that was caught in the narrows was by Rob and it was about a 3lb.er. All the other fish we caught were way up closer to Lake Ontario past the lighthouse. As I mention this those fish will probably move into the narrows. We were definitely marking fish all day but they weren't frantacally biting but as you can see from my post we did manage to catch a few. Best of luck on your next outing.
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

B.O.Q.

Post by Haybay Larry »

John,
The Bay is just getting started. I lived there for 5 years. The best fishing will happen over the next 6 weeks or so. The area from the lighthouse up to the cement plant is all very good water. Don't forget south of the ferry you are allowed 2 lines to a person! I have enjoyed many great days during the yearon my favorite area -Hay Bay.
Most success at this time of year is with deep diving crank baits long line trolled [175'] on planer boards. These fish don't get to be the size they can attain with out being weary of boats. I beleive the planer boards will increase your catch rate substancially.
For the most up to date information on the Bay of quinte got to:
quinte fishing.com
Check out the message board.....larry