Ice conditons on Nipissing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tacklebox74
Participant
Participant

Ice conditons on Nipissing

Post by tacklebox74 »

I am heading out to Callander Bay on the 19th of this month. Has anyone heard anything about the ice conditions?
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Check the weather network website and look at the forecast for Callander, On..........doesn't look good. :(
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ice conditons on Nipissing

Post by Pickerel Paul »

tacklebox74 wrote:I am heading out to Callander Bay on the 19th of this month. Has anyone heard anything about the ice conditions?
4" of Ice across the entire Lake.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

4" across the whole lake?? I have problems with that??? Bays might be ok, but if there is 4" in the bays chances are that there is not 4" across the lake. Especially a big Lake like Nippissing. I would go in the bays no problem. But I sure would like to shake the hand of the guy that checked out the ice in the middle of Lake Nippissing, especially at 4".
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I just read a report of only 2" on Callander Bay and Main lake open water, as of 6:00pm tonight.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Wallyboss ....... thanx .... just about to blast Pickerel Paul, the big lake is far from frozen, first 2 weeks for out fitters are F%c*d at callander, if you want to walk out with a floater suit and dont mind getting hypothermia its fine :twisted:

Bowzog is in my same space ..... 14 day forcast from the weathernetwork.com
does not look good either, I have a bungalow booked for mid feburary, but it looks like I may cancel for this year

If you take a look at accuweather.com, looks like it might get cold, some people think its a better forcasting site, but i've yet to see them come closer than the weathernetwork............

my best forcaster ..... eye-witnes-weather ..... look outside and judge for yourself :lol:
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

At the time I posted my reply, I had just returned from Lake Nipissing.
I could see that the lake was frozen completely over. I was told by some locals that it was open just prior to that, and it has open up again due to the warm climes.

So blast away. Were you there?
I was.