Quinte area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Quinte area

Post by Daner »

Hello.
I would like to bring my boy of 9 years tent trailer camping this July or August. I would like to introduce him to his 1st Pickerel but also I would like to catch some trout. I own a deep haul 14' boat w/a 25 Merc on the back.
Does anyone know and can suggest if the Bay of Quinty(Hay Bay ect...) or West Lake area would produce the best results for both species.
I know that the boat has its limitations but if I am camping for 10 days I know I will get some safe boating and fishing.
Thanks in adavance for your advise on the body of water.
Daner.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Daner, I have only fished The Bof Q once,that was in the fall and from what I experienced you definitely don't want to be on this body of water with faulty equipment. From what I have seen from the one weekend I was there you would probably be safe up to the ferry from Picton but after that and even taking chances before that point you want to be safe!!!!!! This water is rough. RESPECT IT!!!! Things happen very quickly and you don't want to get yourself in a bad situation.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Thank you.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Hey Daner if you look at my aviator the pickeral I caught is from the
B of Q. I will definetly be going back. Be Safe!!!!
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

There are no trout in the Bay during July & August. You're best bet if you plan on trolling would be to go to Wellington or Presquile. From there you could trailer to the Bay for Walleye and fish Lake Ontario when it is calm for trout. If you are talking about brook trout and that kind of stuff, this isn't the area for that kind of stuff. You would be better off going up north somewhere.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Nice picture Hitman. That's what I'm looking for.
Furious, Wellington is the area I was considering as it is the West Lake area,
close to the the main lake and also Sand Banks for the kid when he does not want to go fishing and/or the weather doesn't permit safe boating.
According to the Ministries chart West Lake and Wellington Harbour produces all trout species and Pickerel.
Thanks for your help.[/list][/url]
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

I agree with Furious....the West Lake, Wellington Bay area would meet your needs. If the weather is going to be windy and you can't get onto Wellington Bay (which is really nasty during windy weather) you can also consider driving a little further east to the Kingston area. There is good fishing around the Wolfe Island vicinity for both lake trout and walleye and it has sheltered areas to get out of the wind. Either way, it sounds like a great trip you have planned. 8)
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Does that mean you would recommend The Wellington/West Lake area to fish rather than say Picton or Hay Bay. The other area to consider would be the mouths of the Trent and Moira Rivers. Considering it will be the 1st week in August, do you believe that the Pickerel will still be within the areas rather than out in the main basin?
Thanks again,
Daner.
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

There are always some walleye's in the Bay. They are usually buried in the weedlines through the summer. The mouth of the Moira and the Trent are really good in the late fall and early spring. Other that that, like I said, there are always some ey's around but not the numbers you would think. At that time of year you would really be better off targeting bass in the BoQ. At least in Wellington/West Lake you can fish for walleye's when it rough on Lake Ontario, or fish the big Lake in the morning and come back in when it starts to get rough.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Thank you, I am getting close to my decision. I must book soon as to have a site.
Daner
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Just received a call back from Pickerel Bay and the lady is very nice.
If you check out the site you will see that there is plenty of things to do for kids and the fiishing is within reach. Whether there or travel is up to the person but the bottom line is that it seems to be the place???
50/50 on Hay Bay or West Lake!
Daner.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Have fun Daner! :D Be safe and looking forward to your report to see how you did. I am sure everyone will have a blast. :)
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

I sure will keep you all up to date, sometime in August when I return.
Thanks,
Daner.
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

your boat is ok for the boq, if you use common sense which you prob have looking after a young fella

the summer is not as rough as the fall
adolfustown near picton is a great campgrd and your
in the a good multi species area
able to trailer your boat to another lauch easily if winds pick up.

been there a few times in the summer on a 14 and 16 ft utility
and did fine

great place to fish loads of places to camp

your young fella will totally enjoy it and so will you

nofish(bob)