New Regs!...Wow..

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: New Regs!...Wow..

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

RJ wrote:
In Zone 18 the Min musky size is 36 inches...I thought the Rideau was 44...could be wrong on that one...
Hey RJ

if you look at the exceptions on page 89, the rideau muskie minimum size is still 112cm (44 in).
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Hey RJ I think the opposite as a lot of the Rideau sucker fishers will be going out and buying lures.

I actually like the new sucker rule even though I didn't have a clue it was coming.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Muskie in Zone 12 (Ottawa river) closes Dec 15 (no exeptions listed).
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

As for the sucker deal it's just my opinion, I have not used live or dead bait since I purchased my first boat back in the early nineties. I guess it was a challenge that since I can now move about the entire body system vs. been restricted to shore fishing that I should not need it to be successfully.

As for muskies and suckers, again my opinion says they are not needed and have been known in the pass to be damaging to the fish. Especially these 8 inch suckers available around here are more then a foot short then what would be needed to have a better chance at a safe release.

I'm sure everyone has the liberty to do as they wish but sometimes we need to do some small sacrifices to be able to enjoy our passion even more. A good example is that I refuse to go pike fishing before the muskie season opens just in case I get into some. I can be having a 2-4 week period to sharpen up my reflexes but I rather not and be on the safe side of leaving spawning muskies alone.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

bowzog wrote:Here they are folks........

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/fishi ... %20web.pdf

Its a huge file....50meg :shock: :shock:
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

The new reg.'s really don't affect me as I now mostly fish bass on the St.Lawerence and don't use live bait unless its for tip ups or worms for mud pout. I've been around the St.Lawerence my whole life both sets of grandparents lived on it and my parents. I've never seen a MNR officer once in my life on the river. I watch many boats come from the state side and fish Canadain Waters maybe they have a Canadain licenece maybe not i've never seen one get checked! I've fished now for about 7 years pretty steady and have fished alot of different lakes in my area and have yet to see MNR officer on them either. I've seen fish kept that were to small, guys in boats go dump there limit and come back in the same boat sometimes they switch boats theres alot of illegal fishing going on and the honest and ethical fisherman are paying the price. The 1 rod for carp law stinks for the Canadain operators vs. the American friends but to be honest I've caught alot of carp with one rod. One question that I have is won't musky and pike be more apt to swallow the smaller live bait? I had a friend who went through to be a fish and wildlife officer the closest he got was a contract doing GPS mapping in a office. Where are the people that are suppose to be enforing these laws let alone new ones?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

riverdog wrote: I've seen fish kept that were to small, guys in boats go dump there limit and come back in the same boat sometimes they switch boats theres alot of illegal fishing going on and the honest and ethical fisherman are paying the price. Where are the people that are suppose to be enforing these laws let alone new ones?
That's what this is for...

Crimes Stopper calls are all anonymous. Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards up to $1000.00. Crime Stoppers does not subscribe to call display.

Is there any reason to continue to allow your resources and opportunities to be stolen?
They steal your opportunity to harvest the individual animal or fish.
They steal your opportunity to enjoy the outdoors with your family and friends. When poachers take more than their share, it means more regulations must be created to restrict you from taking your fair share of the allowable harvest.
They threaten the future of your sport by creating negative images of your activity with the public who do not fish, hunt, trap or use our natural resources.
How can you stop these thieves? By calling

CALL 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)

By calling Crime Stoppers, you accept your responsibility to protect natural resources and the right to enjoy them for yourself, for your family, friends, and for future resource users.

I'd like to start a poll to see how many people have actually seen poaching/crimes in action and have done something about it :!: :!: :!: :!: .....I know I have...
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

TroutnMuskieDude, the times you've called crime stoppers to report poaching, did a CO actually arrive and intervene?

I've heard that calling the MNR on this matter is pretty useless most of the time. I could be wrong, but thats what I've heard.

Next time I see a ruskie crew sweeping the river clean I'll make the call and see what happens, though I'll be very surprised if anything actually does. :evil:
marc Thorpe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by marc Thorpe »

Sad thing is OMNR sets up these regs (at times under the guidance or self agenda from the minority without public consultation maybe not or maybe so in this case) and they cant even enforce em

before restricting the use of live bait(Which in this case it is a minority group of anglers that are targeted)
THEY SHOULD ENFORCE THE ILLEGAL USE OF MULTIPLE RODS
(It is extremely flagrantly practiced in all regions )
I gather that 8-9 inch sucker does as much damage to a fish as a 12 or 13 inch lure,which may mortaly wound a fish or cause potentail lifetime injuries to a fish such as pieced eyeballs,riped gill plates.

Quite frankly I find it quite questionable to the reason why Ontario would adopt such a change in regulation
I would think the use of live bait in Ontario interior waters would be more of an apt change to dead bait only before regulating the size of live bait

If the new minister really wants to make a change
hire more CO's
A better ROI all around

I suspect the Co's whether in Ontario or Quebec are hogged tied in what their duties really should be,they do wish they could enforce

Although alot of good is done by all ministries,I do support em but sometimes I think they place too much effort on the wrong issues before going what rights for all
Its a shame,because this is an entity that should aid and protect the resource ,not restrict it

My only suggestion is voice your discontent directly to the minister,if they receive enough dissatisfaction of the ways things currently are done,someday we may see change

My biggest concern,will we see the day we allow our rights to fish regulated away
MattSymons
Participant
Participant

Post by MattSymons »

That's what this is for...

Crimes Stopper calls are all anonymous. Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards up to $1000.00. Crime Stoppers does not subscribe to call display.

Who should feel the need to remain anonymous when responsibly acting as stewards of our fisheries and reporting poachers who are taking from the resources we all love and enjoy? And why? Be proud you gave the jerks something to think about. They'll probably only get a slap on the wrist anyway. The time to man up is now people, otherwise you'll be griping in your rocking chairs about how good the fishing used to be.
Last edited by MattSymons on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattSymons
Participant
Participant

Post by MattSymons »

Wolfman! wrote:TroutnMuskieDude, the times you've called crime stoppers to report poaching, did a CO actually arrive and intervene?

I've heard that calling the MNR on this matter is pretty useless most of the time. I could be wrong, but thats what I've heard.

Next time I see a ruskie crew sweeping the river clean I'll make the call and see what happens, though I'll be very surprised if anything actually does. :evil:
This is as much a question as a statement: Do not the police have the authority to investigate and act on these calls to Crimestoppers in lieu of the nigh-invisible Conservation Officers?
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

a 5" sucker is alot easier to swallow then a 12" one...
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Wolfman! wrote:TroutnMuskieDude, the times you've called crime stoppers to report poaching, did a CO actually arrive and intervene?

Yes WolfDude, I actually did call the "hotline" last winter to report a concern I had!!....when I didn't receive a return call within a week, I called David Ramsey's office at Queens Park.
I received a call within 2 hrs after that from MNR district office in Kemptville asking for more detailed information (location, description of vehicle and person, etc...)....subseqeuntly, charges were laid, the person ended up having to go to court and was found guilty. :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is OUR LAND and OUR FISHERIES!!! I have a passion for fishing and our environment. I don't put up with nonsense and just "sit back and watch" when individuals decide to break the law or regulations..That's just me though 8) 8)

Sorry for strayin' off the topic folks!!! :oops: :oops:
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

regs

Post by g unis »

guys bickering over whats done or whats not being done only creates a division among anglers. as sportsmen alike we shoud if wanted lobby for change. changes are possible in many ways. yes its sometimes a long process , also very frustrating. my best suggestions are to group, or join and organization... lobby like hell,, use honest based data and present your concerns. you would be surprise what common sense , and good data can achieve.