Carp and gar pike around ottawa?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Airpat
Participant
Participant

Carp and gar pike around ottawa?

Post by Airpat »

Hey just wondering where I can find some carp or gar pike around Ottawa?

Thanks
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

There is Carp in all the rivers in the area. Spring time in Dows lake can be good as well.

Shoot me a PM if would like more detail.

Good Luck!

Al.
worm31
Participant
Participant

Post by worm31 »

Hey,

People may find this hard to believe but i saw a very small gar in musgrat lake in cobden which is 1h and 30mins from ottawa. Any one else ever heard of Gar/gar pike in Cobden?
valley_boy
Participant
Participant

Post by valley_boy »

There lots of gar in the ottawa river. Try constance bay or shirley's bay in june, you can wade for them in shallow. There a blast! If you land one of 5 bites your not doind to bad. Its hard to get a hook set on them.
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

Lots of Gar up here around Arnprior on the Ottawa River. Look for shallow weedy bays. They're fun fishing on the surface. You need very sharp hooks and lots of luck.

Cheers,

Salar.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

ottawa river in constance bay for gar iether in buchums bay or the creek in hourseshoe bay :D :D
Airpat
Participant
Participant

Thanks a lot guys!

Post by Airpat »

Ya I live in Kanata so Muskrat is around 1 hour (not bad, we like going there a lot in the summer time). But I'll definitely have to try constance bay.

Thanks for the advice!
Airpat
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

whats the best lure for a gar pike???

i know you need lots of luck cause there BEEK are long and boney!
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

worm31 wrote:Hey,

People may find this hard to believe but i saw a very small gar in musgrat lake in cobden which is 1h and 30mins from ottawa. Any one else ever heard of Gar/gar pike in Cobden?
I believe it. I saw one in there that must have been at least 40" last year following my spinnerbait. They are in there.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

Lures for gar are hookless....kind like frayed rope with a worm sinker at the end.

http://www.geocities.com/garmanjack/lures.html

I've never tried it but looks interesting. Apparently the fibers tangle in their teeth. Snout is apparently too bony for hooks. I've never caught one...these critters freak me right out! :wink:
worm31
Participant
Participant

Post by worm31 »

theres a "Gar on the Fly" tread in the float and fly fishing section of this site on page 3. It talks about the hookless gar lures.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

YakAttack wrote:Lures for gar are hookless....kind like frayed rope with a worm sinker at the end.

http://www.geocities.com/garmanjack/lures.html

I've never tried it but looks interesting. Apparently the fibers tangle in their teeth. Snout is apparently too bony for hooks. I've never caught one...these critters freak me right out! :wink:
It takes way too long to untangle a rope "lure" from the beak of one of those things. I've tried them.
If you use good braided line, a quality hook, and a strong set you'll have no trouble piercing the beak.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

YakAttack wrote:Lures for gar are hookless....kind like frayed rope with a worm sinker at the end.
I believe you have to have a hook on your line for it to be legal.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

They are legal :) I checked with the MNR
It is best to have a partner for fast un-hooking as they get hooked up pretty good. One person has gloves and holds the gar with mouth open a bit, the other person has a pair of needlenose pliers in each hand and pics it out really fast. It can take a bit with one person but gar do breathe air and are very tough so taking a few minutes to un-hook one should not be a problem
TLunge
bobbingbrett
Participant
Participant

Post by bobbingbrett »

ive used a homemade rope lure before, and it didnt work that great, they would stay on for a minute or two and then come off right near the shore, but i can see them working alot better when there professionally made