Wading

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
beadhead
Participant
Participant

Wading

Post by beadhead »

Thanks for the input regarding where I can wade. I'll let you know if I have any luck with those cagey browns in the rapids.

Now, I'm looking for more info...

My neighbor told me he "heard" there were some good spots to wade in the Mississippi River. This took me by surprise as I'm a transplanted Yankee. I told him that Missouri was a little farther than I wanted to drive.

I now know that the real Mississippi River is a short drive west of Ottawa. Can anyone narrow things down a bit more for me?

Thanks

[/i]
Flounder
Participant
Participant

Post by Flounder »

beadhead

From Ottawa, take the 417 West, then take the turnoff to highway 7 (Carleton Place). Drive for about 15km and you will see a Side Road (Mister Gas on the Corner) Called Appleton Side Road. Drive down that for a few clicks and you can see the river on your left. You can actually go into the town of Appleton(the river runs through the town).

Hope it helps,
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Tons of Smallmouth in that area....I feed em frogs when I'm playing golf there.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Almonte and Pakenham are two great places on the Mississippi.Pakenham below the rapids and at the park in Almonte are worth your time.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

:D

beady,

another beautiful, little wadeable river near Ottawa is the Tay River. It meanders from Christie Lake thru Perth and onto Lower Rideau Lake. During summer there are kilometers of river that can be waded.

Bass, Crappie, Pumpkinseed, Pike and Bullhead are a taste of the sorts of angling species you can seek.

Bushy dark streamer patterns can be quite effective I'm told for bass in the heat of summer. Purple is the color a fellow fly tyer and regular angler of that river prefers.

The Tay Basin in Perth every so many years seems to have some kid make the paper for catching some big old pike that falls for the worm and bobber trick. (or some other simple rig)
fishhit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

wading

Post by fishhit »

Take Hwy.#7 to the McNeely bypass. You will see the Crappy Tire store on your left at the lights. Oh yah and the Timmys on your other corner, be sure to stop and get a double double. Go down McNeely till you cross the Mighty Miss. On your right hand side after you cross the river is a small car lot. If you go to the back of this lot there should be a foot path down to the water. The river is easily waded in the summer months with loads of smallmouth bass and the occasional surprise walleye or pike in the deeper holes. Good luck and be sure to post your results.

Fishhit
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I can atest to the area that fishhit is talking about.....I have waded there many times as it is very convinent for me............Lots of smallies!