Where would you go?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Where would you go?

Post by coolspiderdude »

So I have a free weekend at the end of Sept to go off by myself for a 2 night campout. I'm thinking to Murphy's point as it's near me and I was going to try for one of the boat in sites (has anyone been to these before? any suggestions?) But I am flexible in where I go and was wondering if you guys were willing to suggest some spots. I have a 14 footer and live in Kemptville.

thanks in advance!!

Cool
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Big Rideau would be interesting at the end of September.

Charleston Lake would also be a good choice for some fall smallies. Nice park for camping.

Mike
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

MichaelVandenberg wrote: Charleston Lake would also be a good choice for some fall smallies. Nice park for camping.
That's just what I was thinking.... 8)

Can't go wrong there, between the fishing and the scenic lake.

W.
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

Have you considered Petrie Island?
Image Image Image
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Post by coolspiderdude »

I'm a little intimitated by Ottawa river, have heard too many cautions about a 14 foot and that area? Can you camp on the island?

Charleston sounds like a good spot too, I know it's a pretty popular lake
Chewie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Chewie »

There is no camping on Petrie Island. Murphys Point and Fitzroy Provincial Campgrounds are nice spots to fish and camp. Just remember that your not supposed to have lead splitshots, jigheads, etc... in a provincial park. If you go to Fitzroy, try to get a campground on the Carp river. Very nice.

Fitzroy---http://ontarioparks.com/english/fitz.html

Murphy's Point---http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/murp.html
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

I would go to Charleston Lake or Murphy's point.

Both are great....

I would skip Fitzroy (unless you can get a campground on the carp river) because I just don't like the area of the Ottawa river that it's on.

It's quite dangerous to launch and go anywhere from that pathetic little launch they have there.....

Plus it's right below a huge power dam, and water current is strong and always changing.....

Stick with Charleston or Murphy's point. They are both amazing places to camp, with or without the boat in site.........make sure to reserve the boat in site at murphy's point or charleston (if they have them).

People may have already reserved the boat in sites..I would find out if you can reserve it very soon!

I don't know if Charleston has boat in sites, but Murphy's point has nice Island sites right out on the Main part of Big Rideau Lake....I've camped there it's a nice spot!

Great fishing in both places, you can eat what you catch all year round in these lakes most of the time, they are nice and clean still!!!!

Both have ALOT of different types of fish in them too!

Take Care!!!

==Tom==