Fishing the Muskrat River, outside Cobden

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Fishing the Muskrat River, outside Cobden

Post by Snag »

Hey everyone,

One place I'm really excited to fish at this season is the Muskrat River, at the end of Muskrat lake in Cobden. Has anyone gone out there and if so what did you catch? I remember years back I went to go fishing there with some friends, when we were pretty young. I remember being able to see some good size pike swimming around. But we never ended up fishing, I guess we got distracted by the fact we were allowed to take out my friends Grandfathers boat... so we were just zooming around.

I always drive over it going to my cottage on Allumette Island and there's usually a number of boats there.

And another question, what size of boat would be best. We had a pretty tiny boat back then. My dad has a 17ft alluminum boat with a 50hp motor, would that be suitable? Or would my 12ft 9.9 be better because I can remember the dept or if there was a fair # of rocks and logs.

Cheers!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hi Snagthis

I think ethier boat will sufice...if the wind is up ...the larger boat will be more comfortable!!! The guys were catching walleye ..using a yellow Jig and grub tipped with a small minnow..the were drifting with the wind and dragging the jig across the bottom...I sure the guys will add to this, since all i could manage was a couple of small pike :oops: ...Are you going to try the Catfest in Arnpior this weekend...it's going to be a laugh..a few teams from fish-hawk are going to be entered...come on down and meet a few of us :D
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Sounds great but I've never fished for catfish and I'm stuck going a family reunion this weekend.

But what are the times, because I'm going to be driving through Arnprior both Saturday and Sunday.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Snag

The tourny goes June 12.... 7am to 3pm you will be able to reconize us by the fish-hawk hats....come on down for the wiegh in
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Come on and say hello!!!!
At Muskrat try White Spinners baits and 1minus.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

big-o wrote:Hey Snag

The tourny goes June 12.... 7am to 3pm you will be able to reconize us by the fish-hawk hats....come on down for the wiegh in
You know, I really would go if it didn't land right in the middle of my schedule. :( On the 12th I have to meet my team at 8am for a volleyball tournament that probably goes until it gets dark. Then I'll be driving through Arnprior probably around Dinner time, and Sunday I'm going home at night.

I'll keep my eye out for your next tournament meeting, and then maybe I'll just stop by and say hello. :D
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Ahhh...Snag, that's too bad....Hey why don't you sign up for Caiger's???