Are you a boater or a non-boater

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Boater
70%
Non-boater
30%

Total votes: 46

M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

You know, I was just reflecting on how many folks here are shore fisherman. And most would gladly jump into a boat should the opportunity arise.

I was also looking back to a post that Bobber made. He had a few hours to spare on a whim, and offered up the empty seat. No one managed to get back to him on time, so out he went. And this is not the first example of this.

So, I started thinking to myself, wouldn't it be neat if we had a pool of boaters and non-boaters. And Bobber/FH, stop me if this is a crazy thing, but could you set up a flag in your profile that says I am a boater/ non-boater. And there could be a "invite a non-boater" button somewhere, whereby you could PM the non-boaters with the invite.

For example, it is 4:25pm and I'm heading out the door to meet X to go fishing. At 4:26 X calls and says he/she cannot make it. At 4:27 I send an "invite a non-boater" message. At 4:28, a pool of non-boaters gets the message that I have room for 1 in the boat. At 4:29, I confirm that spot to the first to reply. 4:30, I shut-down my pc and meet X at launch Y for a couple of hours of fishing.

Any thoughts?

M.T. Livewell
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I am a non boater..ugh..crap...damn....
I will fish...all you have to do is call....I'll be there....most times!
By the way Bill I did meet Bobber that night last week!!!

Anyway..I think Bill er um MT is on to something here!! Good Idea!
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Thanks Bacon.

BTW, you put yourself down as a boater. :?

M.T. Livewell
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

No..look in the first line I wrote
it says NON boater....
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Clearly someone voted as I was writting as I had not yet voted...I have now voted and have chosen NON boater..because I don't have a boat....
Um..OK....
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Gr8 idea MT!I am personally a non boater but when the opportunity arises it is like xmas all over again!!!!Anytime there is an offer I am sure all shore lads would be happy to offer gas,coffee,snacks,or whatever is needed for the day.

PSSST M.T Im in Rockland too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea M.T, T.L F.F
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

I'm a non-boater, and since I was laid off last month, I can go fishing during weekdays too!! 8)
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

So M.T. when can you have it coded, tested, and implemented? :lol: I can't wait to see it.

:shock: :lol: 8)

Actually, the concept is a great one and perhaps something we could look into for another platform or application. I don't think the messageboard has that functionality....right now anyway.

Let me ponder it. (oh man, now I have to go fishing in order to put on my thinking cap. If only there was a way to find out if anyone else wanted to go...I hate fishing alone. :lol: )
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Hhmmmm????
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

I'm a boater wannabe, but that doesn't put a damper on my fishin, I accept all invites but fish from shore most of the time.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Boater it is

Post by Seaweed »

Great Idea MT!

I know I often head out alone and wouldn't mind bringing someone onboard with me... on short notice if they could get to the ramp quickly enough. I know that I often wait a long time for people to get to a ramp when they have a weeks notice. The only thing that is worse than fishing by yourself is waiting at the ramp by yourself for someone to get there to go fishing with. :oops:

Ideally I will always give a non-boater a couple of hours to meet me... that way we won't have to deal with the waiting and deal more with the fishing. :lol:
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

As a non-boater I think it is a great idea.Being a community of fisher-persons and all enjoy the art of angling ,I can not see why one can't angle a ride with someone.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Das Boot

Post by Legend »

:) I'm a boater and a guy who loves to fish. But there are distinctions even between boaters. Some have a permanent dock with elaborate equipment, others will drive short distances with all kinds of boats and there are guys like me who travel light and go almost everywhere.

If anyone wants to get out in S-W Ontario and doesn't mind being in a 14 foot battleship, by all means, welcome aboard.

ps. I'm off to Espanola this week.

:) Legend
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I know when it comes to carp i'm strictly a non boater but everything else i'm in my Legend and making the most of it... The only thing that'll put me off is a 40km/h+ wind and a 3-4ft chop... There's usually a spot in my boat so i'd be happy to take someone out.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

I put boater although I am both. When I'm at my cottage I am a boater, since I just got my own boat this year. But back home there isn't a boat available to use (well atleast my Dad won't let me touch his) so I'm a shore angler.

I enjoy both but nothing is like having the ancor down, sitting back in my seat and casting away. I don't like being disturbed when I fish so I find sometimes from shore is annoying, too much noises in the city.