Wading the Rideau within Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Flyboy
Participant
Participant

Wading the Rideau within Ottawa

Post by Flyboy »

Hey all....
I got some great kickboat advice on this site before, but now I need some info on wading around the Ottawa area ( or a close drive). I was exploring the Rideau river around Carleton U the other day, seemed like some decent spots. I'm a mildly experienced wader....any advice on these locations?

What about others? (A couple better spots seemed to be around the Vincent Massey park...I figure it's an easy spot to get to).

- Pat
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Flyboy,

You're in luck. I happen to know that my brother is having a meeting this Saturday with a few people to design the "URBAN FISHING" project. This is something he's been working on for a while now and should be good for many people on the site who do not have boats or a means to go far.

The idea is that Fish-Hawk.Net will host a map of locations in the downtown core and surroundings, where you can get to it by driving, bus, bike, or just walking to wet a line during lunch time. It should be good. Not sure when it will be completed, but it shouldn't be long. From what he tells me, just the small details to work out, then building the pages.

Stay tuned for more. In the meantime there are many places that you could go. Send Weeder a Private Message. He knows a few spots and I'm sure he'd be happy to share them with you.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Also feel free to send me a pm I have waded many if not all of ottawa and surrounding areas :D The urban fishing project seems like a great idea!!!!So if any input or ideas are needed Bobber plz let me know and I will contribute all that I can!

I have walked this great city from top to bottom on the bus,bike and car for shore and wading spots!I am sure that I can provide you with lots of leg work and arm work out for some of these spots!

Anything I can do to help, T.L F.F
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Flyboy,

I'll definitely be wading the Rideau between Hogs Back and Carleton this weekend when bass season opens. The water level has been going down nicely and should be in good shape this weekend unless we get a lot of rain between now and then.

I'd recommend felt soled boots for the Rideau, though you can get by with runners if you're careful. As for the Ottawa, I wouldn't wade it without them.

BTW, I saw pics of a very nice 2lb - 14" brown that was taken on the Ottawa late last week.

Feel free to PM me if you need a wading partner.
Chrome_A_Saurus
Participant
Participant

Post by Chrome_A_Saurus »

Urban fishing project sounds like a sweet idea. I have walked many miles and nasty terrain in and around ottawa and would love to know about some other sweet spots. I would also be happy to help if needed.

Felt soles as Todd said is a good buy. Got mine a couple of years ago and don't wade without them. I frequent the Lake O tribs in search of big Steelies, salmon and browns so have become familiar with wading.

Carelton is a good bet... some nice water and have caught some nice fish there with FF. Many good times on that stretch.

PM me if you want, I would be glad to help where I can. :)

Cheers and Tightlines,

C.A.S.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Lots of wading in the Ottawa river. Shirley's Bay (easy to get to by bus )and Constance bay both are very wader freindly. You can walk out a good 50 or 60 yards and be in only 4 feet of water. Give it a try.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

wading the rideau and brown trout

Post by jsdx »

Todd B. wrote:Flyboy,

I'll definitely be wading the Rideau between Hogs Back and Carleton this weekend when bass season opens. The water level has been going down nicely and should be in good shape this weekend unless we get a lot of rain between now and then.

I'd recommend felt soled boots for the Rideau, though you can get by with runners if you're careful. As for the Ottawa, I wouldn't wade it without them.

BTW, I saw pics of a very nice 2lb - 14" brown that was taken on the Ottawa late last week.

Feel free to PM me if you need a wading partner.
You'll have a riot for sure ! ...

I frequently wade the rideau from hogs back to carleton. Lots of fun. If its windy, I use spinning gear and a jig/twister or an inline spinner Otherwise its my fly rod. With the jig you can also pick up walleye (depends on water levels)...

There are always lots of smallmoth bass, they hit anything moving fast. You can also catch them on poppers (spinning and fly)... I've even had musky hit an unfortunate smallmouth that was on my line.

"Brown trout, Ottawa river" ... do tell please !!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. You know, (who, what, where)... I fish the ottawa later in the season when the water is down and you can wade more easily and on good days you can catch 50-100 smallmouth in a couple of hours on a fly rod but I'd love to catch a brown trout there.

As to other wading spots.
1) the rideau river just downstream from the queensway. You can park at algonquin and hit the river. Nice at modest / low water flows.
2) Ottawa river - the small island just west of parkdale ... at low water you can wade out to it and then follow the shoal off the downstream tip. You can stand in 1 ft of water and cast to fast moving 3-4 ft water. Lots of smallmouth. Just watch for the naked guys on the little island. Harmless but they can surprise you :shock:
3) At lower water you can also wade at the decene rapids behind the filtration plant. I don't go often but when the water was really low a few years ago, i wandered the whole thing looking for sweet spots. There is a deep hole at the end of the island that has some large smallies.

John
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

jsdx,

There was an article about the brown trout stocking in the latest Canadian Fly Fisherman magazine. Vince or Tony at the Green Drake are involved in the stocking and could give you more info on the numbers if you're interested. As for locations, from what I've been told anywhere from the Britannia filtration plant downstream to Remic rapids. (Lots of potential water to fish).
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

While some people may not consider Mannotic local, the stretch of river at from the Long Island Locks waste water dam downstream is a lot of fun to wade as well. A couple of nice pools and some good rapids with lots of pocket water that smallies love.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Todd B. wrote:jsdx,

There was an article about the brown trout stocking in the latest Canadian Fly Fisherman magazine. Vince or Tony at the Green Drake are involved in the stocking and could give you more info on the numbers if you're interested. As for locations, from what I've been told anywhere from the Britannia filtration plant downstream to Remic rapids. (Lots of potential water to fish).
Thanks.

I've read the articel in the CDN FF mag. I also know the people at Green Drake (I buy enough stuff there) but the direct scoop is always welcome.

I plan to wade the section from britannia -> remic through the summer. Its walking distance from my house so I can sneak out once in a while and see what happens. I've found that mostly its bass, bass, bass, plus the odd catfish.

So, if you see a tall guy with a fly rod, beating the water to a froth, wave and say hello. I'll be wearing my FH hat. Just stay out of reach of the cast, i'm dangerous (mostly to myself) :lol: Feel free to approach if i have spinning gear. Safer for sure.

John
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

John,

From what I've gleened your best bet is to fish the deeper, hard to reach spots off the island from the Champlain bridge. The average spincaster typically isn't equiped to safely wade to these locations. I'll have to give Remic Rapids and Britannia a shot this season as well, seeing as how I'm set up with the proper gear this year.

Todd
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Bobber,
What with all the info on this post and the info on the Lees ave. posting ,the "urban fishing" project should have plenty of stuff to work with.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Worked the Rideau from Hogs Back down to Baseline Bridge this evening. The bite was pretty non-existant tonight. The water is still a little high. Things should improve after it falls another foot or so.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."