American eels in the Ottawa river

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

bruce wrote:got this one near rockland last year.

What? No EAP with that bad boy?!

lol!

Nice shot. What did you catch it with? How did you release it? (Carefully I am sure!)

Craig
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

my guess is jig and minnow
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

That really is an awesome pic Bruce
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

How did you manage to take that picture? I remember catching one as a teenager, right where the Ottawa meets the Gatineau, in a little bay. I thought I was snagged. Surprise! What a fight. That thing squirmed like crazy. I just cut the line. I wasn't touching that thing. LOL!
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

bruce wrote:Image
Very cool picture indeed Bruce.
Brings back some memories of fishin' with the old man.
Not you... my old man. :wink: :D

Now I can't imagine how we used to eat those sometimes.
Better yet, how my mother used to prepare them.
Those things lived forever out of the water. :shock:
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

I remember my grandfather catching them in Dalhousie Lake in the Lanark Highlands...last time I ever saw one was in '95. I am sure they are still there, just not as many.
bruce
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bruce »

cprince wrote:
bruce wrote:got this one near rockland last year.

What? No EAP with that bad boy?!

lol!

Nice shot. What did you catch it with? How did you release it? (Carefully I am sure!)

Craig
got it on a floating jig and worm,it wrapped itself around the trolling motor shaft,quite fun,was happy for once that the cheap wire hook straightend out and she fell off.did not want that badboy in the boat!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

got a 4 fooeter few years back..my biggest ever..but i was in the nation river in caselman.

caught a few in hull marina sector and 2 at victori island. smallers ones.

i hate there slimes....the big one i got on the nation river i did a mistake put it on the floor off my boat to onhook it..my boat had a rug..that slim is very very sticky and got that stuff for a long time on my rug after.. :? .

there strong fish wen you try to hold them to.

joco
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I am going into my third season camping at Sylvania Lodge on Dalhousie Lake. I have not heard of anyone catching an eel. If I do, I will certainly let you know. The last thing I need is to hook into one of those with my kids on board. I think my one son would jump overboard if that was squirming around the boat. LOL!
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

American Eels

Post by Joey Rat »

I saw a guy catch one, about the size in the picture, on the Ottawa near the hydro wires in Cumberland last year.

And yes, they are a protected spieces.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

TLunge wrote:No I don't think so, the latest theories are unknown causes and a virus that has come here via asian eels and is harming our american eels.
Think about it! the dams were all up by the 50's so if they were the cause then eel populations would have crashed in the 60's or at least by the 70's and that is not the case there was large populations right up to the 90's
They are a very interesting fish worth reading up on, they used to find their way into almost all of our rivers and creeks, peoples farm ponds, waterbodies that are not even joined to the ocean, trout lakes etc.
The virus may be a factor but for the Ottawa river, the Carillon dam was opened in 1964 and since American Eels can spawn 10-25 years after living in the river, that close to the 90's decline. Lots of evidence that the dams chop em up in the turbines and inhibit their movement upstream. The dam on the st lawrence had a new ladder built a few years ago to fix this so maybe in a few years we'll see more eels in Lake O. Don't think there's any plans for a ladder at Carillon but maybe if they added one we'd see eels and american shad up near Ottawa.

I couldn't find a reference but the way I understand it is that the Carillon dam is considered a "leaky" dam and eels can find ways up around it but just not in numbers. I also think they can walk out of water for a small distance so that the trick to getting to unconnected ponds. Pretty amazing.

I caught one at the Lemieux Island Filtration plant about 5 years ago. Hard fight but scared the shellac out of me.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Ya my bad, Chats Falls dam was up in the 30's and Carrion in the late 50's. I have caught lots of young eels around downtown Ottawa in the 90's so they must be making it up past Carrilion. I think you are onto the "leaky dam" idea though. Strangely I have never heard of eel making it up the Gatineau into St Marie, Blue Sea, Picanoc, Cayamant etc. etc. Maybe the dams there wont let the eels through. It would be interesting to hear if they were up there historically!
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I caught 2 eels in the Clyde River near Lanark in 2000 (I believe) both big and slimy!!! 44" and 38" I'll try and find the photos.

JimW