Interesting day on the Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
PerchPredator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Interesting day on the Ottawa

Post by PerchPredator »

Sunday I decided to go fish the Ottawa river near Brittania. Just a little shore fishing and hopefully better luck than I had on Saturday.

I get to my spot and the water is super low. I didn't think there was any way I was going to catch anything in my usual places so I wandered around looking for some new potential spots.

After about an hour I decided to cross my wee stream and fish straight out of the Ottawa. I was casting spinnerbaits and buzzbaits for a while. I watched at least 4 big bass jump all around me, but nothing seemed content to snatch my lures.

I tried a few other presentations and still no bites so I moved further down the river.

After getting snagged and walking into 5 feet of water to unhook my lure and tangling my baitcaster beyond repair for the day a guy fishing the rapids in a Jon boat asked me if I wanted to fish with him.

"Nah, I'm alright, but thanks"

"Come on man, let's get you some fish."

I figured I hadn't caught a blinkin thing and this guy seemed cool enough so why not. Luckily I had my other rod with me so I was game.

I get on the boat, we exchange pleasantries and away we go. He was pulling in bass after bass after bass. Still nothing for me.
So we continue chatting and everything and I finally pulled out a few small bass. My last day and a half of fishing had been so dismal that I was happy with that.

We decided to troll for the last little bit before I had to head out. I know no one will believe this, but I was trolling a crankbait and caught two of my personal best catfish. First one was 17 inches and the second was around 22. I've never caught any cats bigger than a pound and man oh man they really put up a good fight.

I caught 2 on a crankbait and my new fishing buddy caught 3....yup, on crankbaits :shock:

I didn't get any pictures, which may make this story even more unbelievable, but the main point was that this guy (who I will fish with again) offered to get me off the shore when the fishing was terrible and offer a seat just as a friednly gesture.

Sometimes anglers are the coolest people around and this guy honestly made my weekend. One I wont forget in a long while.

PP
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

So cool, there are some realy nice people out there, it is just to find em!
Well and truly hooked!
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

good to see you got into some fish
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's a great deal right there. Cats on cranks....seen it before but it sure feels like a giant walleye or something....until..."Catfish?!?!"... :lol:

RJ
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Looks like you had a great week end fishing dude ! Thanks for the report !
|Dore|
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Some really nice people out there.

Was trolling for Walleye at 40 feet over 45 feet with downriggers and worm harnesses. Ended up catching more Catfish than Walleye. Catfish off the downriggers!!!

Billy Bones :lol:

PerchPredator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PerchPredator »

RJ wrote:That's a great deal right there. Cats on cranks....seen it before but it sure feels like a giant walleye or something....until..."Catfish?!?!"... :lol:

RJ
That's exactly what I thought! The second one hit the lure like a train and I thought for sure it was some massive walleye. I was shocked when I pulled up a catfish. It was my PB cat so I dealt with it :D
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Big cats sure give you a good fight.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Nice story PerchPredator.
Re cats on cranks.. Next time I will try spinners for carp :-)

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

gotta love the fight a good cat can put up. Tthis winter i caught a pretty big one while walleye fishing....i was so devastated when i saw that ugly whiskered head :(
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

looks like have a good fishing with new buddy.

Sure.... it is an Interesting day on the Ottawa

Thanks for your report.

ASK
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Cool report man. 8)