Bass Report - Broken Rod and a Big Belly (July 27)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bass Report - Broken Rod and a Big Belly (July 27)

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

Spent the day with my good buddy Andy this past Tuesday. Ventured back to the lake that coughed up the 4lb 11oz largie from last week, and both of us had high hopes for some good action.

Launched the boat at 8:30am to calm conditions and a mix of sun and clouds. Headed to a shoreline that has produced some fish in the past and began tossing shallow cranks and Senko's. Worked this sand/weed/rock area for 30 minutes without a hit or a spotted fish. I took this as a bad omen. As I've said before - this lake really frustrates me. I know it holds big fish, but finding them can often be a struggle. I hoped this wouldn't be one of those days....

Decided to cruise out from shore and check out some humps. Found two that went from 40 feet and crested out at 18. Marked some good fish and tossed out a buoy. After working tubes, craws and jigs for some time - again without a bite - I figured it was time to head to the shallows and work over some docks and laydowns.

Found some pad beds that looked promising but no one was home....although we did see a chunk of a largie casually swimming out in the open, with her nose turned up at the offerings with presented her with. After that, we hit a shoreline that had a few laydowns with slop pushed up to them. As I was re-tying my jig, I mentioned to Andy to take a few pitches at one promising tree. With my back turned, I hear the "swish" of a rod slicing through the air on a hookset, but half-way through an all-mighty "crack." I look up to see Andy holding half of his flipping rod while fighting a fish on the other end! With a bit of a struggle, we get the girl in the net. Beauty of a fish at 4lbs even.....as for Andy's six-month old Shimano stick - not so pretty.

This pic says it all....

Luckily, I had a spare Kistler to loan out for the rest of the day...

Hit a variety of docks shorly after and managed to put two other fish in the boat...both between two and three pounds. My docks that produced fish from last time held nothing. With the clock reading past noon, and only three fish in the boat, we made the decision to pull the boat out and launch on a section of the Rideau for the afternoon. Before doing that, we fish a stretch of pads near the launch that produced a decent largie for me on a frog. With that, I rubbed the skunk smell off my body.. :lol:

We were on a section of the Rideau by 1:30pm and headed straight to the undercut cane. The first fish was in the boat almost immediately. Although this section has a great population of fish, getting a fish over 4lbs doesn't happen with much regularity. Saying that, it is a super fun stretch to fish. We continue along the cane/slop and put a bunch more fish in the boat...we also miss quite a few. At this point the wind begins to howl, and boat control is beginning to be a chore. I suggest we run up the river and work over some pads/slop. Sadly, not a whole lot of action there.

I motor the boat over to a shoreline that has some great looking laydowns/slop, and we begin pitching jigs to them. A couple more small fish, and then I set the hook into this chunk. Say her come out from the slop/tree and suck the jig in before it reached bottom...

She tipped the scale at 3lb 15oz's and had one of the biggest bellies I've laid eyes on. My guess is a frog in there, but who knows..

With the wind howling now and some ominous storm clouds appearing overhead, we decided to pull the plug on our adventure. All in all it was a fun day, but we just couldn't put a decent pattern together. One of those "one fish per spot" types of deals, with areas that looked productive holding few. But, that's what I love about this sport - figuring the fish out.

Well, one more week of hitting the water before I head in for surgery to have my appendix removed. August will be fairly void of fishing, but look out come September... :lol:

Until next time...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Wow. That sure is a big belly for a fish under 5 lbs.

Sucks about the appendix. Be well.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

woow what a gut on that ! 8)
|Dore|
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

Great report. Love to read about your adventures Justin.

What/where is the "undercut cane"? I've never heard this term before

Appendixes are stupid and overrated.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

That's a great lookin Largie Justin. I'm a big fan of the big gut look. :P
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Highlander - "undercut cane" is the cane/cattail beds you see that line the shores on many lakes/rivers. Most of this is floating, hence the term "undercut." Bass will hide out under these floating masses, and pitching jigs to the edge of this cover is the best technique to use. The deeper the water underneath, generally the better they will produce. Most areas I fish hold from 6 inches to two or more feet. Any slop pushed up against this cane makes the area even more inviting to fish...

As for appendixes - stupid indeed! ha ha

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Thanks for the report, pics and most importantly a few tips for my next trip into the big nasty.

Not sure what the fish ate.....but it was sizable.

Again, always enjoy all the info in your reports.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Holy bloated stomach Justin...Did ya ram a softball down his throat...lol. Very nice work on the bass but bad luck on the rod. So are you going to be moving locations for your job or staying there?? Just saw on the news the new location in Carp.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Almonte,

Would have stuffed two balls down to push the scale down to 5lbs... :wink: :lol:

Andy was off to Lebaron's the next morning to see about the rod...I imagine he will have to send it off to Shimano. Tough break...no pun intended.

I'll be staying at Scotch Corners...at least for the time being. Going on three weeks of sick leave because of the surgery, then a bunch of holidays come September, so CP won't see me much over the next two months. The boat ramps definitely will.... :lol:

Cheers,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

As always a great report Justin. I always look forward to reading your reports. Keep it up, all the best in your recovery.

Cheers
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

I bet you'll be fishing in August.. just have lighter hooksets! :lol:

Couple of nice hawgs there Justin. I can't get over the gut on that 3.15.... what a pig!!!

We'll have to get out one more time before I leave in September... keep the first week open.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

I think that one bass ate a poodle!

lebaron's would have given him the over counter exchange if it was a shimano of any quality (clarus or better). they would then have sent it out, but the customer would have walked out of shop with rod right then and there.

he would have been fishing that afternoon.

shimano is still the only manufacturer of rods, that I am aware of, that will still do that on the majority of their rods. (some st criox models carry over the counter exchange)
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

wow that sucker swallowed a tennis ball !! nice snag !! :shock:

oops .....had to edit and make myself clear after seeing a member named snag lol i ment the fish !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Holy Moly Batman, I've seen that fish on the golf course!
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Love your reports as always... I had my appendix removed after it ruptured... I was blasted on the pain killers the pumped into me when I asked that they put my appendix in a jar so I could use it fishing... they though I was just blasted and not serious... I just wanted to set it up on a flipping jig!

Look forward to your return reports! Enjoy the gut surgery!

Craig