Mono

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Mono

Post by horsehunter »

I just came across 6 spools of mono new still in wrapping that I put in a cubbord in the basement about 6 years ago. Is it still any good?
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

I would say yes! As long as it has not melted or been smashed ect...
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

No...best send them to me to dispose of :lol: I think they should be
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

They shouldn't be too bad? No exposure to UV, i'd definatly get out the digi scale and test the heck out of it. Persoanly i wouldnt consider it though, i mean thats the only thing between you and a fish of a life time and you risk losing it to save a few bucks?
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

tie your neighbours kid with it and reel him in if he breaks off i say toss it and go to 40 lb powerpro.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

For what it costs, I'd get rid of it. 300yds of Sufix is about ten bucks at my local shop, so why risk a break off?
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

OK, you have a few choices here. Forget the other guy and send the line to me. -You can trust my opinion! Tie up the neighbor's daughter and post the photos. Or last, use the line it will be alright!!!
Daner
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Pick up all six spools together..... .lop in Garbage Can !!!!!!!
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

MONO

Post by Iceman »

Interesting thread,…………. when you buy a spool you have no idea how old it is, not like it has an expiry date on it. If it was my line I would be using it but first would soak it in warm water (with a drop of dish washing soap) and spool wet under tension to hopefully remove some of the memory and to get a real nice line lay on the spool.
Well and truly hooked!
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

Heat and UV is what does in your line. As long as it wasn't exposed to to that it is fine. I actually have a couple of Maxima Chameleon service spools that are well over 10 years old, it's fine no problems.
Now if you're talking Trilene all bets are off. :twisted:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

If it were me I'd chuck 'em. Another option is to pick yourself up a bottle of line and lure conditioner and spray each spool a couple times. I have been using http://www.lineandlure.com/ for years with no complaints....infact, it not only restores old line but it can actually improve the quality of it as well if it's not damaged. This stuff is for real. I change mono at least a couple times a season as my rods are always exposed to the sun. Even with the use of reel covers and no direct exposure to UV, heat can ruin a spool of line very quick!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: MONO

Post by almontefisher »

Iceman wrote:Interesting thread,…………. when you buy a spool you have no idea how old it is, not like it has an expiry date on it. If it was my line I would be using it but first would soak it in warm water (with a drop of dish washing soap) and spool wet under tension to hopefully remove some of the memory and to get a real nice line lay on the spool.
This is my thought exactly...How do you know the line you purchased is not 10 years old??? If I was to hand you a spool of your line without you knowing could you tell the difference?? Now the soap and warm water for memory thing....Does that really work?
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

almontefisher wrote:
Iceman wrote:Interesting thread,…………. when you buy a spool you have no idea how old it is, not like it has an expiry date on it. If it was my line I would be using it but first would soak it in warm water (with a drop of dish washing soap) and spool wet under tension to hopefully remove some of the memory and to get a real nice line lay on the spool.
This is my thought exactly...How do you know the line you purchased is not 10 years old??? If I was to hand you a spool of your line without you knowing could you tell the difference?? Now the soap and warm water for memory thing....Does that really work?
I do it all the time, gets all the dust and crap off the line and when holding under tension do so with a clean rag you will be amazed at what comes of new mono, braid is just as dirty I spool it the same way, got the info from a British fisherman, made sense to me and have done it ever since. Some Brits are so fanatical about clean line that they actually clean their line throughout the year.
Well and truly hooked!
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Iceman wrote:Some Brits are so fanatical about clean line that they actually clean their line throughout the year.
A name or two come to mind Mark :-)

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."