All anglers should be concerned about this

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

Post by petawawarace »

If thats the case I'm fine with it...It will just mean I may have to invest in a few more molds...but that will save money in the end anyway
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

I find it hard to see lead ban possible! Are we talking just lead bait or everything lead! because in that case reels rods and terminal tackle will all have to be redesigned and changed. I dont know if you have ever noticed but every reel and rod you pick up has a small sticker on it that says this product is know to contain lead a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects! Its on almost every rod & reel you buy!
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

SpenceScout: They are only concerned about the lead used in jigs, weights, split shot, etc. These are the lead items that end up in the ecosystem and are sometimes consumed by birds. As you would expect, the lead poisons the birds. Lead poisoning causes neurological damage leading to death and it is a pretty nasty way to die. If the birds are consumed by predators, there is potential for the lead to poison the predators, too. The lead used in other tackle wouldn't be part of the ban since it doesn't pose the same threat to the environment.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Why the heck are we up in arms about lead in paint? Or why did we ban lead in gasoline?

So why are we sticking up for lead fishing weights? We all talk the big talk on conservation, but when it comes to action, no one is to be found!?