First Big Musky ***Now with Pictures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

First Big Musky ***Now with Pictures

Post by petawawarace »

So after telling my parents friday night that I was going to bring the boat out to their place for winter storage, I got a "well I wouldn't mind going out one more time" from my mom. Needless to say, Saturday was way too nice to do yard work, so out we go. It was a beautiful day out on the river (not the Ottawa) with zero wind. We don't often fish for musky, but we decided to give it a go. We all had heavy line on and figured that if we did get onto a good one, we could just tire it out and hand-land it.

After seeing another boat pull in a small one right away, we spent the next 3 hours or so trolling without a single bite. It was hard to get discouraged because it was such an awesome day. When we came across a big underwater rock pile in 15-25 FOW we stopped and I started to throw for some smallies. 8lb test...1/8oz jig and a small swimbait, no leader or swivel...really good smallie bait. On only my 5th or 6th cast, I set the hook on what feels like a good smallie....not huge, but good. It gives a decent fight, and as it comes up.....NOT A SMALLIE. As soon as the musky sees the boat....bye bye tearing off line like no tomorrow. He does this 3 or 4 times and I see that the hook is hardly in his mouth (I can see the jig-head)

So I decide that if we are going to get this thing in the boat we will have to net it. My step-dad proceeds to net the fish, but can't lift it into the boat (not in the greatest of shape) The tail is sticking out of the net and so is the head. Before I can get over to help him, the fish thrashes and jumps out of the net and is gone. I look at the hook, and it is straight.

We figured the fish was over the 40" range after measuring the net. We got a few pictures of it while it was still in the water (I will try and post them soon)

It was still a great day spent with my parents.

Oh and I don't think I will be putting the boat away anytime soon. And yes I will be getting a bigger net.

Anyone know what kind of Bird this is????
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Sucks you didn't land it, but hey some great shots there!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: First Big Musky ***Now with Pictures

Post by cprince »

Awesome story! Love these kinds of reports... this is the kind of day that will keep you going back for more until you need a snow plow to get you into the water!! (A-La Richard Collins!)

petawawarace wrote:Anyone know what kind of Bird this is????
I will say a raptor of some kind... a young baldie perhaps... BA among others should tell you for sure though!

Craig
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

:-) Sounds like fun either way! You'll get 'em next time.

E
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

nice fish.. bird is an osprey..
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

C5 wrote: bird is an osprey..

Nice try... :wink:

Immature Bald Eagle
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Agreed !! bald eagles get the white head only after 5 years
young bald eagle !
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

Post by petawawarace »

Well good to see that Eagle there....where that picture was taken, it was sitting on 2 of the last standing dead trees from a big range fire several years ago.....great to see such wildlife returning there.
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

Post by Marine5068 »

Yes, immature Bald Eagle.
Only two birds of prey living in Ontario have beaks that large, Golden Eagle and Bald Eagle.
Goldens are a different colour.
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.