Counting to 51 on The Mississippi or How Wet Are My Boots?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Counting to 51 on The Mississippi or How Wet Are My Boots?

Post by cprince »

Got a PM from Lonnie late yesterday offering a freed up seat to fish with him Saturday on The Mississippi!! Quick check of the weather showed 85f and sunny... in Tampa. Ottawa... not so nice... but what the heck!!! How many more days of wet water fishing am I going to get in?!! Not only that, I wimped out yesterday from fishing because I was feeling sick...

Got out on the water at about 11:30am... and this is what it looked like:

Didn't take us long to locate some wild life... Lonnie on a senko rigged on a jig was hitting the largies. I was throwing my go to bait of late; Perch Pattern Northam spinner and nailing largie after largie.

They were all in about 4 to 7 feet of water. The water temp was solid at about 47.5f.

There were a few pike as you would imagine fishing spinners in The Miss in late October!

Here are the two biggest of the day; (If you look, you can see the water streaming off my hood and hat!)

But I like the first shot Lonnie took with my BlackBerry! The Boot Shot!

After 51 fish in 4 hours, it was time to head back to the launch. The numbers and the quality of the fish we caught today was a veritable bonanza for the Miss... and the smile on camera shy Lonnie's face said it all;

Believe it or not... I look at this picture and see a beautiful day!

Thanks for inviting me out Lonnie!!!!
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Awesome! good job boys. Largies on spinnerbaits in 47degrees? Wow, I never would have thought. Good stuff. Nice report.
Lonnie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lonnie »

I'm glad you were able to make it on such short notice. Best day of bass I've ever had on Mississippi and it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without ya.
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

think I'm going to brush off the snow from the boat tomorrow and hit the miss myself :) seein as its only 5 minutes from my door :) might have to see if the eyes are as cooperative as the bass were :)
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Mississippi

Post by Joey Rat »

Where did you lads launch from , I'm assuming the docks are gone from the town launch.

I'm thinking maybe Monday or Tuesday, one last hurrah before the boat goes away.

Besides, this fishing season started in April with the Orillia Perch Festival so I absolutely have to get the boat on the water in November to make it an 8 month run. And after all what is the point of a floater suit if you don't use it.

Solo launching is a pain with no docks so if there are any other cold weather fools out there, drop me a line and maybe we can figure something out.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Counting to 51 on The Mississippi or How Wet Are My Boot

Post by Bass Addict »

cprince wrote: I was throwing my go to bait of late; Perch Pattern Northam spinner and nailing largie after largie.

:roll: :roll: I've been saying that for years , nothing like a LATE BLOOMER splashing water on a wet duck .

:wink: 8) :lol: :lol:

Awesome day right there
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

What a great day on the water guys.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Some nice bass guys :) .
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Mississippi

Post by cprince »

Joey Rat wrote:Where did you lads launch from , I'm assuming the docks are gone from the town launch.

I'm thinking maybe Monday or Tuesday, one last hurrah before the boat goes away.

Besides, this fishing season started in April with the Orillia Perch Festival so I absolutely have to get the boat on the water in November to make it an 8 month run. And after all what is the point of a floater suit if you don't use it.

Solo launching is a pain with no docks so if there are any other cold weather fools out there, drop me a line and maybe we can figure something out.
Hey! We did launch from CP. No docks, but Lonnie seems to know what he is doing. I was a little late and he launched by himself... (:evil: DAMN stinking marathon had part of the parkway blocked! Marathon had about 9 people!!! No signs... nothing! Dorks!! Friggin Ottawa granola dorks... no problems blocking traffic... damn protests, damn marathons, damn bicyclers... )

...but I digress...

My season started in March!! I was on the Ottawa March 18th... If I can have a soft water year of fishing from March to November... then I am one happy son of a gun!

I might be into Tuesday... nice body of water that Miss...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice fellas! Something special certainly was goin on yesterday! Those Largies must have felt the snow coming.......

RJ
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Great work, fellas! I've had some banner days for largies and smallies on the Miss. late in the fall - bucktail jigs just off the edge of weedlines and clumps work everytime. Walleye are always bonus...

Will be heading out in the next two weeks to get my fill before the season ends... :lol:

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com