Probably My Last Fishing Report For A While...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Probably My Last Fishing Report For A While...

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Because the Mrs. is expecting our second child at any time now... Since most of my fishing is done in very remote areas, there's no way that I can be reached by phone. Whenever I've been out recently, I have a buddy on standby who can come to find me in the bush if need be.

Over the last three weekends, I've been out chasing trout up in the mountains. Two weeks ago, I was shocked to see that it was another climate altogether up there.

Overhanging trees due to lots of heavy snow in late winter made a mess of the roads and unless you had a chainsaw or a Pontiac Sunfire :lol:, you weren't getting anywhere. This pic is NOTHING compared to what was up there, I was just too discouraged to take pics.

Once we arrived at a few lakes, this was the scene: Ice fishermen!!!

On some of the smaller lakes we were able to brake a bit of ice with the boat and/or oars but it was a complete waste of time.

A week ago, I got out with my bro and our cousin from Sudbury to fish for lakers. After packing the boat with all of our gear, we portaged a gruelling 30 minutes to the lake. This day was extremely warm for springtime with no cloud cover and the lakers weren't cooperative at all. We didn't get a single bite for over five hours.

We decided to bite the bullet early and portage out mid-day and try our luck at large brook trout instead of risking a laker skunk. When we got to the lake in question, my cousin couldn't believe that large brookies lurked in a "ditch" as he called it. Back in Sudbury, they call small lakes ditches. He guessed that the lake was no more than 20 feet deep when it is in fact closer to 50 feet in depth. This small lake had tons of minnows and baitfish in the shallows and this is the perfect recipe for large brookies. Just because the lake is tiny, it certainly doesn't mean that the fish aren't big as I've caught plenty of big specks in this lake over the years. Well, as luck would have it, the Sudbury boy shattered his previous PB and boated this pig measuring 19 inches and weighing in at 3 pounds, 4 ounces.

My 3 year old son always likes to get up and close to the eaters that I bring home right before I fillet them.

My cousin's large brookie easily fed 3 adults and my little guy.

This past weekend, I got out for some lakers with my bro and Fish-Hawk's Frog Eyes.

Frog Eyes and his bro moved to the east coast over the past 2 years. Last fall, we began planning for them to come fishing some of our old haunts in the Ottawa area for 4 days in early May. Unfortunately they had a bad car accident on the way to Ottawa so the trip was off. They were o.k. but their car was totalled so they went back home to rest their aching bodies. Long before the accident occurred, Frog Eyes had already booked a work related flight out of Ottawa at the end of the trip. He flew in on Saturday and was in town for less than 24hrs so we got out for an afternoon/evening of back lake lakers.

Frog Eyes with a keeper laker. We caught a dozen and missed dozens more during an action packed session.

We arrived back at my place late Saturday night. Frog Eyes had an early Sunday morning flight out of Ottawa so we quickly filleted two lakers and baked some home made fries. Since there are no lakers on the east coast, Frog Eyes was eager to have a freshly caught laker meal. I enjoyed that midnight snack just as much as he did. Until next time my friend, it's always a pleasure fishing with you.

If I'm lucky I'll get to sneak out for one last monster brookie quickie but if I don't, it's all good.

From now 'till when I'm back fishing regularly once again, I'll be living vicariously through you, Fish-Hawkers. So keep those fishing reports coming.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Probably My Last Fishing Report For A While...

Post by cprince »

Talk about going out with a bang!!

Sweet report. Nothing easy about fishing trout. You never know what opener has in store; Weather, bite, road/lake conditions to get to the lake.. wife going to pop or not.. some people's wives are pregnant and might give birth too...

:wink:

Thank you for taking to the time to cobble together a report.

Damn fine one too.. food...!!! Mmmmmm...

Craig
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Yeah Craig, trout fishin' sure ain't easy. That's why I love it so much; it sure can humble a confident fisherman. Lots of ups and downs... One day you can swear that the lake is fished out. The next day it seems like you can do no wrong and the trout are almost too easy to catch. The latter scenario is of course the less common of the two and whenever you have one of those days, take full advantage!
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Very cool pics and report dude......and congrats on the upcoming new addition......another fisherman/woman on the way. :)

Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Congrats dood! An understandable and welcome reason to take a little fishing time off.

And cool report here too. You busted some arse to git 'er done. :)
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Yes! Sweet report to tie us over until next time... hopefully that won't be too long.
Take care and I wish you all the best with the new little Ms. :D
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Enjoy the new addition!!! They grow up fast a s start talking back in no time. Oddly enough my 6 year old is the good one. The one I have to watch out for is the 2.5 year old. Man I am not looking forward to the teen years with her...

Nice fish to boot!!!!

Adam
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Post by BrookieJunkie »

great report now that's one big brookie
trouthunter
Participant
Participant

Post by trouthunter »

great post.
trout fishing is the best
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Post by flight2323 »

lape0019 wrote:Enjoy the new addition!!! They grow up fast a s start talking back in no time. Oddly enough my 6 year old is the good one. The one I have to watch out for is the 2.5 year old. Man I am not looking forward to the teen years with her...

Nice fish to boot!!!!

Adam

Nice pictures by the way :)

The thing that makes it all worth it is when you can take them out on the boat and watch them catch there first fish it's amazing :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great report on some back woods troutin'. All the best to you, the misses and the lil one!

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Great report!

Yes, sadly I will agree that they really do grow up too fast.

My eldest is 10 this year and my other one is 9 a few months later.

Step-daughter is also 9......

It just FLIES by.
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Post by flight2323 »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Great report!

Yes, sadly I will agree that they really do grow up too fast.

My eldest is 10 this year and my other one is 9 a few months later.

Step-daughter is also 9......

It just FLIES by.

They can carry on the fishing tradition :D
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Some nice looking trout, when the time comes...I'll be looking forward to more of your report's.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thanks for the comments fellas. Well... looks like I might be able to squeeze in a final quick giant brookie session tomorrow before she finally pops... :lol: Hopefully the trout gods will be on my side. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: