Ice Fishing - Augers

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Red Feathers
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice Fishing - Augers

Post by Red Feathers »

I have a jiffy propane 8 inch..... I will never go back to gas......love it ....and no oil or gas on your hands
Red
wishin I was Fishin
Participant
Participant

Post by wishin I was Fishin »

I will play the devil's advocate here....After 25+ yrs of power auger use, including Jiffy, Strike Master and the latest being a Husqvarna, I am going back to hand augers! I fish mainly backwoods lakes all winter and I am tired of transporting cumbersome gas augers as well as fuel, all over hell's half acre. After travelling on sled sometimes over an hour from the truck, my worst fear is arriving and having the auger not start or break down. Thankfully that has only happened a couple of times and I have been fortunate enough to be with some one else who had theirs as well, but there is always the possibility of mechanical breakdown ruining a trip. Secondly is the transportation of them....They either lay in the sleigh and get bouced around and full of snow or slush if the lakes are bad, or, somehow lashed to the rack of the sled and travel along like a gypsy caravan leaving a trail of bungee cords along the way. Several yrs ago I fabricated a steel rack that bolted to the tunnel/back rack of my sled that did work quite well and the auger stuck out behind the machine rather than across like the mount Dave Genz uses. The down side to this was that it took up the back rack so I still ended up towing a sleigh for other gear like bait etc. Also with the auger behind me, I constantly was turning around to go look for the plastic blade guards that had flown off somewhere back on the trail. Last year I bought a Nils hand auger and was amazed at how it would effortlessly whip through the ice, in a lot of cases faster than the power auger! I was sold! It folds in half and can fit in the storage under the seat on the sled, or if I am taking the sleigh it can go in there and get bounced around till the cows come home with no worries about starting or throttle linkage being frozen etc etc.

All this being said, I have battled with junk hand augers in the past and wanted to throw them in the bush where they would be left to rust. I think like most things, you get what you pay for....I have found that a decent quality auger/blade combination that unfortunately comes with a healthy price tag, can be ultra reliable and effortless to use.

So in answer to your question, what kind of auger?.....Armstrong. lol
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

I finally pulled the trigger and bought my very first auger. After a bunch of research online, in forums, in stores etc... I decided to go with the Eskimo SharkZ51. There's many to choose from, I'm sure I would've been happy with a Strikemaster or Jiffy as well and I believe at the end of the day they'll all get the job done. After my research I was humming and hawing over the Eskimo SharkZ51 and the Jiffy Pro 4(propane). There were two specific points that tilted the scale in Eskimo's favour. One of the biggest complaints I came across about the Jiffy Pro 4 was the weight, and the second point was cost. I had budgeted myself for the purchase of the more expensive Jiffy in case I was to go that route, but low and behold, Canadian Tire had a sale last week on a few of their augers, one of them being the Eskimo. Sale priced at $349.99 down from $500.00 which is substantial. The best price I could find for the Jiffy was $509.00 US dollars out of a ThorneBros in Minnesota, albeit with free shipping, with the currency exchange and HST I'd still be looking at a couple extra hundred dollars more than Esk....so all that being said I thought I'd be better off taking those savings and put them towards a couple other goodies such as a sled, a rod tote, etc.

Here is a link to the last review I read in regards to the Eskimo, this review was the one that pushed me over the edge, slapped my hand on the countertop and said SOLD! (kinda wish I had a gavel at that moment). Probably one of the most comprehensive reviews I've come across in regards to any auger, very well explained and done, I recommend taking a look at it, I wish all reviews were done this well.
http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/prod ... wer-auger/

Thanks again for all those that contributed to this thread, it was of some help for sure. It be nice to keep the thread open for others who are interested in auger purchases/experiences. So keep adding to it for everyones benefit, I'll be sure to drop a line at some point to give an update on how my shiny new friend is handling the hard water , until then...let the tip-up flags fly high! :-)
Last edited by Grizzly Grub on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
snapper
Participant
Participant

Post by snapper »

3 years on the eskimo now and still going great, the engine always starts on 1 or 2 pulls, the rapala have the same engine. the eskimo have the strongest clutch. check the jiffy theydo not have the same engine they used to.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Grizzly Grub wrote:
Thanks again for all those that contributed to this thread, it was of some help for sure. It be nice to keep the thread open for others who are interested in auger purchases/experiences. So keep adding to it for everyones benefit, I'll be sure to drop a line at some point to give an update on how my shiny new friend is handling the hard water , until then...let the tip-up flags fly high! :-)
This thread has good information concerning ice augers.
The thread should be moved to the tackle sub forum.
Furthermore, because of all the interest, we could open a section dedicated to Ice Fishing.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mikemicropterus »

I used a hand auger for years and it wasn't until my back got worse that I went to the gas auger.....I serviced all the makes and models over the years but I have a Strikemaster now and it has worked well over the past 3 years.....yes it is heavier so I bought a dog to pull the sled this winter...LOL.... :lol: I have a two man clam and can put everything I need in the sled, put the cover on and put that in the back of the truck and just pull that around with the 4 wheeler.....if the ice is only a few inches thick I just use the hand auger........or when there is a group I'll bring it to drill every ones holes.....
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

$150 for a Jiffy is a STEAL!!!

Cheapest I have seen for a used one is $275.

They seem to retain their value for sure.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I can tell ya mine won't be $150 when it goes up for sale.. :lol:

Getting er tuned up this week for the new owner so she'll be like new for the new owner!

RJ
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

wishin I was Fishin wrote:I will play the devil's advocate here....After 25+ yrs of power auger use, including Jiffy, Strike Master and the latest being a Husqvarna, I am going back to hand augers! I fish mainly backwoods lakes all winter and I am tired of transporting cumbersome gas augers as well as fuel, all over hell's half acre. After travelling on sled sometimes over an hour from the truck, my worst fear is arriving and having the auger not start or break down. Thankfully that has only happened a couple of times and I have been fortunate enough to be with some one else who had theirs as well, but there is always the possibility of mechanical breakdown ruining a trip. Secondly is the transportation of them....They either lay in the sleigh and get bouced around and full of snow or slush if the lakes are bad, or, somehow lashed to the rack of the sled and travel along like a gypsy caravan leaving a trail of bungee cords along the way. Several yrs ago I fabricated a steel rack that bolted to the tunnel/back rack of my sled that did work quite well and the auger stuck out behind the machine rather than across like the mount Dave Genz uses. The down side to this was that it took up the back rack so I still ended up towing a sleigh for other gear like bait etc. Also with the auger behind me, I constantly was turning around to go look for the plastic blade guards that had flown off somewhere back on the trail. Last year I bought a Nils hand auger and was amazed at how it would effortlessly whip through the ice, in a lot of cases faster than the power auger! I was sold! It folds in half and can fit in the storage under the seat on the sled, or if I am taking the sleigh it can go in there and get bounced around till the cows come home with no worries about starting or throttle linkage being frozen etc etc.

Not easily visible but in the sleigh behind the trusty Bravo on it's right side is the auger, on the left is a blue rubbermaid which inside it has the motor resting comfortably on an old bright orange emergency blanket (handy to have if need be). Another blanket lays over top keeping it from rocking side to side and free of any snow or slush ingestion that might find it's way into the rubbermaid. Keeping the auger from popping up and out and the rubbermaid from sliding forward in the sleigh is a metal bar (screw) encased in a rubber garden hose that reaches across the sleigh. Pulling that sleigh at times to top speeds of 140km/hr (not on the Bravo :lol: ) the only issue I've ever had is flipping the entire thing because of going to fast through some "whippidy doos" :lol: Otherwise, this a rock solid way to transport the auger in the sleigh. Some ring screws added to the sides of the sleigh to fasten bungees or rope and nothing is going anywhere. Tried and tested over 10 years.

For Quad Mods some people use gun racks which leaves the auger exposed or, they could try this suited to their own bike...

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/foru ... opic=38441

Blade guards are a hassle no matter what. The rubber strap doesn't often last so, take your drill, punch a hole in the plastic guard and tie a string to it. If going the distance, tie the string to the auger for extra precaution.

Do hear you though about travelling light. Last year used the hand auger until finishing the season with some wicked pipes but also a case of bursitis that lasted well into June. Even through some thick, thick ice though, good blades you can be through in no time with less slush in the hole. Besides, my Jiffy is a 10-inch and she's a brick to carry around. :?
jesse.page
Participant
Participant

Post by jesse.page »

RJ wrote:I can tell ya mine won't be $150 when it goes up for sale.. :lol:

Getting er tuned up this week for the new owner so she'll be like new for the new owner!

RJ
I'll be watching for the post! Would much rather have the money go to someone local then someone trying to make a few bucks on kijiji! 8-)
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

jesse.page wrote:
I'll be watching for the post! Would much rather have the money go to someone local then someone trying to make a few bucks on kijiji! 8-)
Now this is one good comment. If I was RJ, I'd be giving you first crack at it.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
jesse.page
Participant
Participant

Post by jesse.page »

StarTzar wrote:
jesse.page wrote:
Now this is one good comment. If I was RJ, I'd be giving you first crack at it.
Some of the people just amaze me with the stuff that they think they can pull on kijiji! Like i said i'd much rather give the money to a local vs a stranger :roll:
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Jimmy_1 wrote:$150 for a Jiffy is a STEAL!!!

Cheapest I have seen for a used one is $275.

They seem to retain their value for sure.
That is what I thought too. It was worth the drive to Pembroke to pick it up. I talked him down to that price. 8)