Pigeon and Buckhorn Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wdalziel
Participant
Participant

Pigeon and Buckhorn Lake

Post by wdalziel »

Howdy all,

I'm heading to Pigeon and Buckhorn Lakes in two weeks, something that I've done for the last 9 years and always in September. I remember some very hot days, a few very cold ones, a very windy one where many boaters had to flee the waters and last year when my boat was so filled with water from the rain that I had to drain it one evening before launching it the next day. You just never know what you are going to get in September.

Ok, now for a good story. Last year, I went up early as I usually do and it happened to be a Wednesday. Once there, I found out my boat wouldn't run (as usual). After wasting the day trying to get it working, we brought it into a mechanic who told us the outdrive was kaput. Well, shore fishing was not an option and so, we (my best bud made it up by that time) considered renting a boat for the weekend. This was an ok option but having to bring the boat back each evening along with the cost associated with renting, forced us to consider other options. We looked around for cheap boat, motor and trailers for sale. After a day of looking, we bought an older boat, motor and trailer for $1,300. It was in decent shape and I thought we were in business. Well, you would have to know my my best bud and I are about the worst persons ever in regards to engines. I let my buddy run the boat first and he did so by using both the accelerator and the (something that revs up the engine) whatever it is called. We kept stalling of course and after calling someone to rescue us, someone finally told us what imbeciles we were/are. At that point, we begun running around a little while longer but after stalling periodically all over again, we were seriously considering a course on mechanics when we got back home. It wasn't until later, after another rescue, that we found out the gas container needed air and that we were sucking fumes all day. We hadn't allowed the gas container to breath. OMG. What id'juts.

My favourite locations are on the East side of Big Island, a weed bed just off Sandy Point and the weed beds North of Jacob Island. Gannon Narrows has been ok for me, although there are many of my buddies that consider that area best. I tried a few different locations last year just for the fun of it, since fishing in the cold and rain wasn't exactly helping to fill the boat with fish. As a reader of this forum and a couple others, I've also heard that the Bobcaygeon area is known for Walleye. Italo of 'Canadian Sportfishing' told me to try a location near Grenadier Island. I'll likely have a go there this year for an hour or two. Well, if nothing else, I hope this helps others in finding good quality fish.

Two type of fish have always been difficult for me to find, smallies and crappies. I've heard the South of Big Island is good for the smallies but after hitting my boat propeller one year on the rocks, I've been steering clear of that area. I had a fellow fisherman two years ago, ruin his motor by running through there at a clip. Yeah, he was given a temporary 'idiot' license and a $1,500 invoice. However, maybe someone knows how to get in and out of there without any issues ?

The great thing about these lakes is that it is virtually impossible not to catch any fish. Unless you have never fished before perhaps but even then, just sending down a worm should find something to chomp on it.

Well, time to stop writing. I hope I gave someone a chuckle or two. I never did take a course in small engine mechanics so, let's hope the boat runs well this year.

Wally