marking waypoints on gps

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

marking waypoints on gps

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey guys,
looking at a map of skootamatta where I will be fishing for a week and noticed some very nice shoals that I would like to mark on my gps. Problem is I need the exact coordinates and the shoals are not seen from google earth. Anyone have some ideas? Ideally I want to mark about 4 or 5 waypoints around each shoal to have an idea of where they are.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: marking waypoints on gps

Post by PunchRig »

Just turn on your boats gps, i know i can zoom in on any lake with my HBirds, from my shop and find an area i want to mark and save it, can make a whole trail if you want
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

My gps is actually a handheld e-trex 20. I have tried doing an image overlay on google, but the resolution of the map I have is terrible and all the depth contours are lost.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Fish On-line has a good map of Skoot. and shows the contours. The Lat and Long are on the bottom right corner. Click on it and it expands. MNR's Make a Topographical web site is also real good and in the satellite mode shows a lot of the shoals. The Lat and Long are in the bottom left corner.

This is how I mark spots for ice fishing. Works real well.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thanks a bunch bro thats what I was looking for!