Fishing Report #5 a.k.a. Loch Garry Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
NorthernGuy
Participant
Participant

Fishing Report #5 a.k.a. Loch Garry Lake

Post by NorthernGuy »

Hi everybody!

So, I'm a very curious guy & it bugged the heck out of me to know if the Loch Garry Lake near Alexandria had fish in it. It's a very very nice lake, extremely shallow, like I've never seen. Deepest I ever found was 10.2 feet & mostly was in the 4 to 6 feet max!

I've read lots about it... winter freezing up everything... fish dying & some sort of product getting in the lake or what so ever. So, all those reports were 1 year plus old.

So for me, today was THE day I was testing the lake! Went out myself & my 2 dogs. It was extremely quiet & very nice (except for water quality), we fished from about 10 till 3. Covered almost half the lake literally. Tried spinnerbaits, frog, Senko Texas rig, all sorts of Rapalla, noisy... deep... you name it, I probably tried it!

Results?
Nada! Nothing, absolutely not a speck of fish insight. No visuals of fish, fishfinder didnt get nothing,Saw tons of frogs & massive ones goin everywhere but not even a minnow insight! So to me, there is no fish YET, in the lake. (dont consider carp hehe) They are everywhere!!!!! (No i didnt see any) I am very satisfied that I went even though I didnt catch anything. I will sleep well tonight hahahaha!!!! So please! If you ever go & catch fish at Loch Garry Lake! Would you please let us know lol?

P.S. As I was arriving to my truck, a bunch of guys were unloading there boat & I was like, damn! I really did something wrong! they are going to catch fish! hahaha, So I talked with them for a brief moment & they were only going to test there boat. They told me they stopped fishing this lake 2-3 years ago because one time they came & they saw lots of dead fish floating... They told me it was one aweeeesome lake to fish! tons of bass before! That's a shame...

Thanks for reading & have a good weekend fishing! I hope it wont rain :( Wanna hit the St-Larry tommorow!
Born to Fish…Forced to Work!
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Re: Fishing Report #5 a.k.a. Loch Garry Lake

Post by LouisD33 »

That used to be a great lake for Largies and Musky along with an abundance of all sorts of pan fish.
Many a 5+ lbs Largemouth

Im not sure of the largest Musky but you could catch 12 -15 lb ers all day.

What a shame.
My understanding was that there was a late season draw down that went a little overboard coupled with a colder and longer winter than normal that spelled disaster for this lake.