after the burn (fishing report)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

after the burn (fishing report)

Post by scuro »

I became good buds with my internet friend Dan after talking lots about fishing online. We eventually did a few trips together and then one day he emails me frantically wanting the website of the daily satellite views of northern Ontario. He had to evacuate the family cottage in a hurry because of a major forest fire and he hoped that the firefighters had saved his cottage. No one was allowed into the area after the fire. Everything burned and what didn't burn melted. His aluminum boat had morphed into a coral shaped piece of dull silver because of the intense heat of the fire. I didn't hear a lot from Dan after that.

Dan spent every weekend and all vacation time for the last three years rebuilding the "camp" from scratch. Many hours were spent learning how to do things and sourcing materials. I was his first real guest, and the first time he had really fished in three years...what an honour!

The "camp" is north of Sudbury in one of the many "kettle" lakes in the area. We had fished BIG water previously so I didn't have any real expectations going...just a week up north relaxing was my only goal.

The lake really surprised me for mid-August fishing. I caught a lower 30s pike and probably the largest walleye that I have ever caught.

After three years of hard labour it wouldn't have been surprising if it was Dan who needed the break. They don't make like that down here, he was the perfect host and wouldn't let me pay for anything.

Thanks Dan!...you truly have made a wonderful thing.
Last edited by scuro on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
...anything to bend the rod
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: after the burn (fishing report)

Post by Lvace »

Must be tough to see your little spot in paradise burn away like that and that there was nothing he could do.... Nice that he got right back at her!!! Great report!!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Nice report! Some great walleye fishing up there, I hope to get up there sometime around Thanksgiving. What were you catching the eyes on? Jigging or trolling?

Craig
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Did a bit of jigging but that one was on the troll, a Dr. spoon with perch pattern and brass on the other side...about noon on a sunny day!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hi scuro,

Like a Phoenix, your friend rose above the ashes and got his dream place back. Kudos to him and I'm glad you shared a great week on the water to celebrate that accomplishment.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

To tell you the truth the old place was, "well lived in".

They couldn't even call the new place a "camp" because it is too nice. "Cottage" just sounds too southern. They settled on lodge and his wife is coming up every weekend now. She loves it but is proud also because it was her father's cottage that burnt down and Dan rebuilt it.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Solid walleye buddy!
Cy