Madeira Beach Florida

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Madeira Beach Florida

Post by zippyfx »

Hi All,

Just got back from Florida and had sometime to hit the ocean on a party fishing boat. I really only had one morning to fish, family commitments kept me from hitting the beach again. I talked to people fishing the beach and they were catching pompano, ladyfish and bonnet head sharks.

I booked a trip with these guys:

We set sail:

And headed out to sea:

We fished areas of limestone bottom and caught lots of these guys (Blue Grunt Haemulon sciurus):

This was enough for a lunch for 4 adults and 4 kids:

We went here:

And they made this (one plate blackend and one plate fried):

Along the way I also managed to catch the following:

Pig Fish (Orthopristis chrysoptera)

Pinfish (Lagodon rhomboides)

Black Sea Bass (Centropristis striata):

Sand perch or Squirrelfish (Diplectrum formosum):

Also caught by others on this trip included: Kingfish, Flounder, Blowfish, Mangrove Snapper,
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Madeira Beach Florida

Post by Fishoholic »

Did you take that boat out of Johns pass? Looks like the same boat I went on when I was out in st.petersburg. It was a blast and we caught fish all day. Looks like you had fun, thanks for sharing!
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

Definitely looks like John's Pass. :handgestures-thumbup:
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Love Florida, wanted to make a day trip last year to Madeira when we were down but didn't happen. I ended up fishing off our rental house dock in Apollo Beach. The salted critters fight hard eh!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Too bad I did not know you were here.
I am at St Pete Beach for another week. If anyone is around and wants to share a charter let me know.
David
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks Guys! Yes, this is John's pass.

Super, I could kick myself, I almost posted a note but my fishing plans were up in the air.... My brother and I would have went i on a grouper trip with you.

Riverdog, I am jealous, I had some light gear to fish some of the docks behind our condo but it just never worked out. I hear that gafftopsail catfish are not uncommon in the inlets there.

Next time I go I am definately a grouper trip and will be fishing the beach at night for sharks.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Cool looking critters!!
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Nice report. Party fishing boats are great for a variety of fish. Probably best bang for buck and always a good time.
mwk
Participant
Participant

Post by mwk »

Nice report!
Some family members and myself did a charter out of Clearwater back in March, and we took home a smash of those grunts, great eating! We also caught a couple different types of groupers too.
Matt
JohnAndrews
Participant
Participant

Post by JohnAndrews »

Hey, zippyfx, looks like you had quite a nice time! Your photos look great, you've managed to catch some interesting little fellows. I was looking for some interesting places to fish in Florida that are so to say not "under the radar" and I came across this thread. I've done several trips around the area before, however, I haven's set foot in St. Petersburg or Madeira Beach before. Madeira Beach seems like a place worth visiting with my pals. Hence me and my wife are moving to the new Sabbia Beach Condos complex in Pompano Beach sometime next year, I may go ahead with the trip. Maybe someone here might tell me what the best time of year for such and undertaking would be (I am talking about 4-5 guys for an extended weekend or similar)?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I think most of the best fishing happens from March to June and then from Late September to December.

I was there in April and the bite was starting to pickup.... I new someone who went down in March and it was hit and miss.

There were guys catching sharks on the beach at night.... Looked like fun.

If your thinking of going of planning a trip down there around fishing look up the guide services find one that looks reputable and ask them.