A great, low visibility braid?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
donw
Participant
Participant

A great, low visibility braid?

Post by donw »

Hey all ... Gonna be re-spooling one of my lightweight rigs with a braid or superline and I am curious, what are your favourites? I'm looking for a line under 4-lb., diameter with really low visibility. Have been doing some reading up, and trolling the outdoors store shelves, but want some opinions. What are your recommendations, and for what reason?
BTW it will mostly be used in the Rideau and other local rivers (not cold, clear, fast trout style rivers), for everything from panfish to walleye.
Thanks.
DW
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: A great, low visibility braid?

Post by River Monster »

I like power pro, heard good things about suffix 832, everyone has their personal preference.

If your going down to small lines i'm assuming your use light baits so you want a line that's soft and supple. But why 4lb? 10lb braid has a very small diameter with the added strength. A lot of guys will use a back magic marker to color the first few feet of line.
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I've been using the regular Power Pro for quite a few years now and other than the colour bleeding out after a bit. It doesn't both me and doesn't seem to bother the fish.

I use 20ln (equivalent to 6lb mono) and have caught everything on it. 15lb power pro is the diameter of 4lb test.

If you want low vis, I would recommend tying on a leader.

I have tried the super slick 8 in camo brown and it works just as well but I find the regular stuff better in weeds as it seems to saw through them.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

I use 20lb power pro and the 832 suffix in 20lbs on the St Lawrence. Key is to use fluoro for a leader in the clear water. I wouldn't be too worried about visibility on the rideau. As for comparing the braid I don't find a difference
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

What equipment are you using this line on, a bait caster or spinning outfit?
If spinning outfit, Have you thought of looking at Berkley Nanofil. Can cast this line a country mile, strong, supple, very small diameter.
Not advised to use it on a bait caster.
If you're putting this line or any other braided line on a bait caster reel,or spinning reel, remember to either put some electrical tape around bare shaft in reel spool, or put on some monofilament say up to 20 ft. just for backing and join your braid or nanofil with a double uni knot. This prevents the line from spinning on the spool.
Little hint, if going with small dia. line put a fair amount of backing on the spool so that you might be able to squeeze two reels out of one purchase of line.
Usually 125 yds. approx. (375 ft) on the spool of lines you purchase, which should be good for two reels.
Backing will stretch your dollar value of line. 6 or 8 lb. mono all you need, older line or just some cheaper mono.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Brand does not seem to be a big factor for durability... I have had good luck with power pro, suffix and spiderwire. If casting distance is important you may want to look into the rounder lines.

One question why 4 lbs? Seems kind of small for most fishing other than pan fishing. 6, 8', 10' braid would get you more strength with little increase in visibility. You really need to pair light line with a light to ultra light rod. If you do hook a bigger fish the rod will take pressure of the line. You many also consider getting a rod with action that is moderate to slow.

Personally, if you are interested in going to 4 pound with a fluro leader I would consider doing straight Fluoro; try to find a supple fluro if using real light weight lures its a bit stiffer than mono. Most of my UL rods are are straight fluro.

My opinion, mirage may vary ;)
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

plowjock wrote: Have you thought of looking at Berkley Nanofil.
I have had bad luck with Nanofil, always seemed to fray on me.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I fell in love with the Powerpro super 8 slick when I was surfcasting... Amazing stuff. I special ordererd 1500 yards of the marine blue 30 lb and use a fluoro lead. I will never use another line for surfcasting.

Freshwater I use the regular PowerPro in different strengths. I like the moss green. I may switch to the slick 8 however but they don't have the moss green last time i checked.

Also love the power-pro IceTec for ice fishing. I must have respooled a half dozen times last year due to varied complaints until i tried it. Hooked now.

Guess you could say I am a power pro fan. One exception. The Timber Brown colour for whatever reason tends to shred a Lot easier. I thought i was imagining things but i saw similar threads regarding the red from saltwater enthusiasts. Must be something in that red/brown dye.

Rod
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Zippy, maybe you had a cracked eye on your rod.
I've been using Nanofil for 8 years now, some of it has been on a couple of spinning reels for that long.
Sure, I've seen a little loose stuff, but have never had a line break yet.
I've caught some pretty good sized small mouth bass on it dropshotting.
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

I would recommend 4lb sunline sniper FC. It's a great line that I use for a few techniques and have caught a good number of fish on . But have to spool the line on reel in right direction or you can get really bad line twist and check for flaws fluently cause it is only light line. Should also have a reel with very smooth drag and a L-ML rod
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

IMO low visibility and braid are not something that go hand in hand. Braid is great but low vis is not one of its strong suits. If you want to fish braid, tie on a fluorocarbon leader, you get the best of both worlds. I'm a big fan of Power Pro when braid is needed.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
adempsey
Participant
Participant

Post by adempsey »

If you want low visibility, just use a fluorocarbon leader. You generally have to anyway because braid frays at the cut point if you don't have really sharp cutting tools and isn't as easy to tie a good knot as it is for mono or flouro. Most brands of braid are very similar in makeup. However, one of the biggest differences is how many strands make up the braid. It's important because that determines the shape of the line. The more strands, the more circular/round the line is. This makes it smoother and I believe a bit more flexible. So, technically it should cast further and make less noise going through the rod guides. However, I find these rounder lines also result in increased wrapping at the end of your rod tip, which is incredibly frustrating. I have a feeling the differences will be minimal with the lower test lines though. I mostly use PowerPro because it's easy to get and performs fine, but my preference right now is for Sunline SX1. There are plenty of highly recommended braids out there though.

If you're just jigging or trolling the fused superlines, like Fireline, are good. I don't like them for casting. Never tried Nanofil, but I imagine it's similar.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

10 lb Power Pro is the diameter of 2 lb mono. That with a 8 lb Fluro lead would do the trick. For my real light line applications I actually use mono for that extra bit of cushion.

RJ
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

First, gang, really sorry I posted this then disappeared for a couple of days.
I really appreciate the feedback and this is giving me a couple of excellent options to consider. I like the ideas of the backing on the spool both to prevent the line spinning, as well as to save a few bucks esp. if I go with one of the really expensive brands.
Re. the 4 lbs. ... I was talking more of the line diameter (ie equivalent to monofilament). I have seen a couple of even thinner braids/superlines this year which allow you to spool even stronger line that has only the diameter of a 4 lb., test mono. I definitely prefer a line that's going to cut weeds, because that is generally where I like to fish.
And yes, this is for a panfish rig, though it will probably also be used when the critters are really finicky and/or water is really clear.
Will be checking out your suggestions once this damned deep freeze is over and I am out to pick up the line.
Thanks again.
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

Things appear to be looking up in terms of weather Don, after the 5-10cm more overnight tonight that is.... :evil: