Sketchy ice and a pair of eyes for the pan!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sketchy ice and a pair of eyes for the pan!

Post by fatluke »

Hit the Quinte ice for the third time this season this morning. Two weeks ago today we were fishing on 4-5" of nice black ice. We fish a high current area and likely one, if not the worst spots on Quinte for consistent ice. Two weeks ago were not quite able to get to our "early ice secondary spot", and our "primary spot" was still open.

This morning we made it to the secondary spot, but were treading lightly on 2-3" of ice. It's been years since I have been on that thin of ice, but all safety precautions were in place and we have been fishing this area for 26 years, so we know where and where not to step. :-)

I had a screen full of perch when all of a sudden my rod was almost ripped out of my hands. A nice 3 lber for the pan. An hour or so later, Same deal, but this one was 4-5lbs. Since these were the first two keepers from the hard stuff, I kept them both. The bigger one was borderline too big for my liking, but Wifey (and I) have been craving a feed, so I had to bring these home to keep her happy. :-) I also caught 4 others in the 10-12" range that I'm hoping to meet up with again next season.

In the three trips I have been out, we have probably landed upwards of 30 walleyes in the 8-12" range. A sure sign for a great couple years ahead.

Stay safe out there folks, the up and down weather in the Quinte region has really put a damper on the ice production. There are plenty of safe areas, but also plenty of danger zones. That being said, it's been quite a few years since I have been on the ice at this spot before Christmas.

Hoping for one more trip tomorrow morning to finish off the 2016 fishing season and step right into the 2017 season on Monday morning, weather and ice permitting of course.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Re: Sketchy ice and a pair of eyes for the pan!

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Nice report sir! Great couple of keepers right there Luke, 4 nice and thick fillets.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Awesome to get on the BOQ this early, and slay!! Have a great hardwater season Luke
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Right on Luke nice to see a BOQ post on FH. Definitely a feature worthy post! Hope to get up there soon.
Happy New Year All!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Nothing wrong with taking those fish home for dinner! A solid outing for sure on Quinte, good stuff Luke!
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on some nice Walleye
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Attaboy partner. Be down there soon I bet. Save me some and some maple syrup.. :lol:

RJ
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Syrup is running pretty thin.... but there should be plenty of walleyes left. :-)

Might be another week yet to get out to where you want to go. She's firmed u a lot more (surprisingly) since Friday.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Some dudes are still whackin em in the boat today... :lol:

RJ