St Lawrence conditions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

St Lawrence conditions

Post by Moobe »

Hey all

Thinking of a walleye day this weekend but worried about "unconfirmed" reports of lots of debris and engine destroyer dead heads... anyone been out lately to comment on river conditions?

Moo
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: St Lawrence conditions

Post by Oneeleven »

I have seen photos of actual debris, such as metal poles, deadheads and the occasional dock.

I'm sure it varies around different parts, but prob still something to be super cautious about.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have cousins that live near cardinal and water levels are at least 3' higher than normal for this time of year. Their dock is under 6-8" of water at the moment and they have lost a few railway ties that have come unfastened and have floated away. I saw pics of a 70' dock floating down stream as well.

So as you can imagine, there are going to be quite a few hazards out there.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

thanks all

I guess I'll give it a few before I go out. Friggin Mother Nature KNOWS I bought a boat. :x

Ben
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

My advice is launch out of Prescott the Johnstown marina launch is under water Prescott will be easier. If you launch at 6am you should be able to see any hazards. I'd drive the Chanel till you get to wherever you're going which I assume Cardinal. The ships are good for keeping the Chanel clear. I'm around the river a lot haven't seen that much floating other than garbage, yes there's some wood but you'll see it.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Poppy
Participant
Participant

Post by Poppy »

With the water that high and I would imagine the water is still very cold I don't imagine the fishing is that good.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Poppy wrote:With the water that high and I would imagine the water is still very cold I don't imagine the fishing is that good.
Water is 46F...the other I won't comment on lol.
Bobber Boyz
Participant
Participant

Post by Bobber Boyz »

Water is extremely high and lots of debrie floating on the river please slow down in the north channel as the water level is at the residents door step. Hit a log today 2' under the surface was lucky prop is easier to replace then the lower unit.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

My neighbour up the road cancelled his annual week of guiding this week due to the poor conditions. Not worth it. Rebooked for June.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Word on the River is the dam in Iroquois is open for how long who knows but should lower the water level a bit West of the dam. Folks coming & launching from Prescott or Jtown should follow the main channel to Cardinal & not travel in the dark.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

I hear that Graham Lake conditions are pretty good with some beauty walleye caught
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Bass Addict wrote:I hear that Graham Lake conditions are pretty good with some beauty walleye caught
They're definitely on the feedbag! If you're going out let me know BA I'll point you to a couple hotspots!