Canal bassin’

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Canal bassin’

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hit the downtown section of the Canal for the opener for about 2 hrs this past Saturday and caught 6 LMB, as well as several bluegill and small perch. All fish were caught tossing 1 ½ cm Berkley power nymphs (toad colour) on 1/16 oz VMC neon moon eye jig heads towards any available shelter/structure (weed lines and clumps, concrete dock edges, etc.). I think that I’ll buy an ISO net in the near future, as hoisting 3+ lbs bass out of the water and over the canal railing while using 6 lb test mono was a non-starter.
Attachments
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg (258.73 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Canal bassin’

Post by zippyfx »

Cool! nice fishing.... Love the small presentations.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Thanks. Yeah, there was a guy using MH baitcasting gear, fishing the same area at the same time I was and not catching anything. Finesse was the key, what with the time of day, bright sunlight, and boat traffic.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The section north of the 417 bridge is tough this summer: the rain as well as construction has made the water cloudy and algae-infested in certain parts, but I’ve been able to catch some nice LMB from weed lines and overhangs in the clearer areas. Finesse plastics are definitely the way to go here.

David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by David Chong »

Nice stuff! Tough fishing requires finesse presentations!
Special Thanks to all my valued sponsors and my darling wife for all their support!