Lake Trout Rideau Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishwithjaime
Participant
Participant

Lake Trout Rideau Lake

Post by fishwithjaime »

A friend and I are looking at trying our luck on the Rideau Lake for Lake trout this weekend. We are launching the boat out of Portland. Neither of us have fished this lake before so we are newbies :)
Any tips are greatly appreciated. The lake is huge, so knowing where to fish would be a great help. Are they deep in this lake or still hugging shallow water? Any islands we should try, or area to concentrate? Any idea what the water temps are there this time of year. Where we fish, the water is still under 50 F.
We do not have down riggers so we are limited to either braid or lead core line.
Please note all fish caught are live released.

Thank you for your help.
Kind Regards,
Jaime
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lake Trout Rideau Lake

Post by OntarioRider »

Follow the other boats. LOL
Seriously though. Head out to the main channel in front of Murphy's point provincial park. There will be many boats out there.
I have had success between trout island and the north shore just trolling back and forth.
fishwithjaime
Participant
Participant

Post by fishwithjaime »

Thank you OntarioRider.
When you say " between trout island and the north shore ", what are you refering to as the North Shore?
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Lucky fish-hawk has maps ...

Big Rideau North section http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19052
Big Rideau South section http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19053

On the south section map, Trout island is in the main channel. Troll from that island to the shore "N" in the direction away from Portland :)

You can also follow a shore line (depths 50-75 ft) starting in front of bass bay, towards hawe bay and all the way to the narrows if you want. I find fish there from 50-100 ft. See what the finder tells ya. Also, if you see them clustered off a point, you can jig em.

From there, after that long troll (or you can just rip up there at speed) go thru the Rocky Narrows and up to Starr island, (see north section map) and jig - 40-50 ft depths does it but they can drop to 80...

Jigging will work really well but I find jigging deep vertical is hard in wind while if you troll you can tough it out even if windy.

good luck
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Yeah, all those spots are good. Like jsdx said, jigging often out produces trolling. If you mark them and can stay on top of them, try a 1oz Sebile Vibrato in Holo Green or Ghost. White or silver flake tubes also work. Jigging is best early or late in the day when it's calmer. Try and keep your line as vertical as possible. This time of year, I'd be looking anywhere from 35 to 60 ft down.
The tug is the drug..