New Brunswick Road Trip Part One ... Striped Bass ... Speckled Trout

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Brunswick Road Trip Part One ... Striped Bass ... Speckled Trout

Post by JimW »

New Brunswick Road Trip... Part 1

After an awesome fishing trip to New Brunswick last Fall targeting striped bass. It was time to go back. This time our main targets were striped bass on the Miramichi River and short-nosed sturgeon on the Saint John's River, plus a bit of time trying for Atlantic salmon and speckled trout.

So my fishing buddy Bob and I loaded up and hit the road after work Thursday last week and made the overnight drive to Miramichi, NB.... thankfully the 14 hour drive was relatively uneventful and I avoided hitting the moose standing on the side of highway 108.

In the Miramichi area we visited a few tackle shops, Big Rigs Tackle, Miramichi Pronature and Trout Brook Fly Shop. I am not really a fly fisherman but it was definitely worth the drive to visit Syd at the fly shop for a chat and to pick up a couple things.

FH Trout Brook Fly Shop sign.jpg
FH Trout Brook Fly Shop sign.jpg (148.49 KiB) Viewed 447 times
FH trout brook shop.JPG
FH trout brook shop.JPG (153.61 KiB) Viewed 447 times

In Miramichi we stayed at the Travelodge which was the perfect location.... a ground floor room, a dock behind the hotel and Hennessy's Pub for food and drinks.

Saturday our guide Rob from Tangled Angling picked us up at noon at the hotel dock and we were off on the Mighty Miramichi River. The plan was to fish for striped bass and then when the tides were favourable spend a bit of time trying to catch an Atlantic salmon.

FH rob tiller.JPG
FH rob tiller.JPG (97.02 KiB) Viewed 447 times

After checking a few spots for striped bass with sidescan sonar, it did not take us long to get into some striped bass action we spent the next few hours casting for stripers using various soft plastic swim baits and my fishing buddy Bob decided to try fly fishing for them as well landing some nice fish on the flyrod as well.

FH Jim striper 1.JPG
FH Jim striper 1.JPG (100.83 KiB) Viewed 447 times
FH bob fly rod striper.JPG
FH bob fly rod striper.JPG (101.85 KiB) Viewed 447 times

When the tides shifted we headed up river to try for a salmon or two, unfortunately no luck on the salmon (need something new to catch next time) but we did catch a bunch of incidental speckled trout.

FH jim trout.JPG
FH jim trout.JPG (107.48 KiB) Viewed 447 times
FH bob trout.JPG
FH bob trout.JPG (128.31 KiB) Viewed 447 times
To finish the day we fished a few deeper water spots looking for some bigger striped bass, earlier in the day we were fishing shallow water 4-6 feet deep. We found some deeper fish and we caught one nice one right away, but the rest of the school had lock jaw, so we called it a day around 9 pm.

FH bob bass 1.jpg
FH bob bass 1.jpg (120.85 KiB) Viewed 447 times

Rob dropped us back off at the hotel dock and he headed home to clean our fish, we cleaned up and headed for Hennessy's Pub down the hall from our room for a late dinner and a few drinks. Our guide Rob joined us for a drink just before close and brought us our fish.

Our second trip on the Miramichi River with Rob and he did not disappoint.... over 70 striped bass and 6 incidental speckled trout caught.... great equipment.... knowledgeable guide...... equals a great day on the water.

FH Jim striper 2.JPG
FH Jim striper 2.JPG (83.18 KiB) Viewed 447 times

If you have not fishing the Miramichi River for striped bass I highly recommend you seriously consider it.

Part 2 coming....
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: New Brunswick Road Trip Part One ... Striped Bass ... Speckled Trout

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Sounds like a great trip ! Such an awesome fishery. A few years back, I had the good fortune to fish the mouth of the Mirimachi in summer. Our charter Captain kept us on some big fish all day long. Our arms were falling off by the time we headed back to shore. Such a wonderful part of the country...as a bonus we were there during lobster season...so along with Striper fillets, we also brought back a load of tasty crustaceans....along with oysters, clams and mussels...gotta get back !
Attachments
Dscf0156.jpg
Dscf0156.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 129 times
Dscf0170.jpg
Dscf0170.jpg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 129 times
The tug is the drug..