Buying a Used Boat

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

To be honest I dont know, but if it is the same guy that would be great to know of someone who knows him!!

Its going for 3500 and hes located in Dunnville!
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Astro

Post by grumpy7790 »

Hello,
I thought some Fish Hawkers may be interested in this boat. This Astro use to be my boat, I bought it new in 1993 and put about 20-25 hours on the motor each year. Two years ago I sold it to my team partner who never put more than 15 hrs/yr on it. It's a solid boat, sure it could use an upgrade of carpet. Great first starter bass boat at a great price with quality. My buddy just purchased a sweet ProCraft 210.

Details: 110hp 50-53 mph, dual livewells, 2 fish finders, flasher, Stainless Steel Laser prop, Auto/Man Bilge, great storage, drive on trailer, cooler box, custom cover, two fishing seats, one pro seat, MG TM, great dash layout, still slick looking for a 93' rig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

Good Luck,
Grumpy
Last edited by grumpy7790 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visorboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Visorboy »

Great post, and helpful replies hawkers.
I have to admit that I've been just lurking around here and reading all the great stuff that's been posted here.
I'm also in the market for a used boat, and the neverending research info. is overwhelming. I do know one thing, and that is to get a nice 4 stroke motor, and the most hp that I can afford or that the boat is recommended for.
I was looking at one in the autotrader, a 1987 Starcraft SS160 w/ a 2004 90hp Yami. The motor is a sure bet, but I'm not sure about the boat.
Anyone have experience with this boat? Is it nice and stable? How's the quality on Starcrafts?

Thanks for any info.
VB
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

What is the price Grumpy? Some of my buddies are looking as well
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Astro

Post by grumpy7790 »

$5900 US on Ebay, PA, about 7 hours from Ottawa.

Here is the link, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

If he gets $6k he'll end the auction.

Grumpy
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Grumpy! :shock:

Where was this beauty last year when I was shopping.
Should I just tell Misses Livewell I need 2 boats?

Ian, if you can find the money (not easy to do as a student), but that looks solid for the price.

M.T. Livewell
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Ian, put down the flipping jigs and buy a couple spoons!

BigO showed me this one today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 44970&rd=1

:wink:
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Great Starter Boat

Post by Seaweed »

Here is a fine example of a starter boat also....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 51682&rd=1

Nice walleye big water boat Markus....
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Im looking at an 1989 stratos right now! No spoons for me :):P
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Are there any issues buying boat in US and coming back across border.
Tinbanger
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

Visorboy wrote:I was looking at one in the autotrader, a 1987 Starcraft SS160 w/ a 2004 90hp Yami. The motor is a sure bet, but I'm not sure about the boat.
Anyone have experience with this boat? Is it nice and stable? How's the quality on Starcrafts?

Thanks for any info.
VB
I might be able to help a bit. I've got a 1980 starcraft SS1600. I just got her this year so I can't comment long term on quality. The hull itself is still solid, just missing a couple of rivets when I got her. I'm thinkin I might put a floor in next spring but that can be expected after 30+ years. It's good deep boat and light too.(Pretty sure it's lighter than my old 14ft. fibreglass)
Had her out on the bay at long point in 10 - 20kph winds a few times and she handled the waves with no problem, so I'd say they're a pretty stable boat too.

Hope this helps :wink:
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

And what about taxes?

I know if you buy at a marina or a dealer you pay full PST and GST but what if you buy privately?
Lost Leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Lost Leader »

I would make sure that the type of boat I pick is built for the species and conditions I like to fish and also the activites I want it to do. Aside from age and make some things that may be important to you could be.
A modified V hull so you don't plow. A deep transom for safety in rough water, A wide stable beam and casting deck with leaner seat if you want to stand to cast, a front mount trolling motor if you cast more than troll. A fuel injected or 4 stroke motor to be fuel efficent if you go to a bigger motor, Always get the biggest motor the boat will handle for decent performance, don't buy an over powered boat or you can't get insurance, get a rig that is the right size and weight for your towing vehicle, look for low freeboard if you want to fish and lip bass, shallow draft if you want to fish the slop, low profile on the water for less wind push if you want to cast, low boat to trailer height if you dump in on shallow ramps, down riggers and rod holders if you want to troll, suffer with the poor performance of a smaller motor or get a kicker if trolling is important. consider what your wife and kids want, is it comfy, can you tow a tube do you need a tow bar. a windshield and canopy if you want to troll cold windy days, Picking a motor make which will render good service and which can be easily serviced on you home water or when you take it on trips.
I told my wife I think I need 3 boats. :shock:
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Good sugestions LL.