When will it all melt??????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: When will it all melt??????

Post by Gord »

When will it all melt??????

NEVAH!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........I'm LOVING THE ICE! :D :wink:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

A huge factor in the ice out date is how much run-off water enters the lake / river.
On shield lakes surrounded by rock, there will be more runoff water than normal due to the amount of snow.

But on non-shield lakes, the run-off could be reduced this year, since there is not a lot of frost in the ground.
Unless there is a lot of warm water entering the lake... the ice will be there for a while

My bet for my local lakes is ice until end of April.. or even May 1... but my bet for the St Lawrence is ice out by April 10
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Even here in central NY, the ice is thicker than usual. I can't stand much more, or so I keep saying...but maybe it'll be one of those years where you go from winter to spring overnight. Then we'll be complaining about black flies and mud. Somehow, they both sound great to me right now... :?

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

3rd week of April I hope to be on Lake Ontario....Locally I have my doubts.

RJ
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

whats this melting you talkin about?
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

This could work to get around. best of both worlds and if you hit soft ice well you will not sink........
Laker_Taker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Laker_Taker »

Non-fishers (or non-icefishers specifically) don't seem to get how long it takes the ice to go out. I went out this past weekend on Muskrat and some I spoke to sounded so scared on my behalf since there have been a couple of above zero days in the last 2 weeks! They don't realize that when there's over 3 feet of solid ice it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I remember going to Temagami in March 2010. Now, even I was a bit sketched out as it had been pretty mild leading up our trip, especially around these parts. Then while we were there it was at least +10 (some days +15) all the while we were there (4 days) and I knew we had to drive the trucks 15km or so across the ice back to the launch. It is an unnerving feeling driving through puddles on the lake just praying what is underneath is still solid. Seeing bigger trucks go first helped.
That said the prime stuff is still to come where it's 15 degrees and still completely solid ice under your feet (or tires). I fear we may never see another winter like this one as it does really seem like an anomoly. Enjoy ladies and gents!
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Back about 1982 or so I was ice fishing on a lake up near Eganville on the long May weekend. There was open water a ways out, but near shore there was still ice good enough to walk on/drill through. In Ontario I think that was the latest I was ever out on spring ice.

Yes it takes a lot to melt ice this thick, but warm rain and wind make short work of even pretty thick stuff. Once it honey-combs and we get strong winds then it is not so long until it's done.

But remember: not that long from now we will all be complaining about the HEAT and HUMIDITY! (Well, at least I will..............I would rather have minus thirty than plus thirty any time! And this winter has been SPECTACULAR!!!! :mrgreen:

Doug
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Not complaining as I can make the best of both worlds!!! Ice fishing =fish and soft water =fish. I just spent the past 2 days on the ice and got a nice sunburn on my face.... The glasses tan lines is well underway. :ugeek:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Still making ice... :lol: :lol:

RJ
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

RJ wrote:Still making ice... :lol: :lol:

RJ
YEEHAW!!!!!
water-werx.ca
Participant
Participant

Post by water-werx.ca »

There's 30+ inches of ice here in the Prescott Harbor, ( as of Sat )

:?
I can't find my Sharpie
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

RJ wrote:3rd week of April I hope to be on Lake Ontario....Locally I have my doubts.

RJ
Keep your eye out for a black Smokercraft, im thinking the same thing...lol