Smelt fishing at Queenston docks

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Smelt fishing at Queenston docks

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well headed out to Queenston docks. left house at 4:45 got into some heavy traffic. we didn't get to Queenston till about 7:15. Then when we get to Queenston we cant find the docks. Not a soul in sight to ask.

We then decide to get something to eat. Everything was closed blink.gif Finally an hour later we find some kid on the bike. He lets us know where the docks are. we finally reach the docks alittle after 8. So forget about Catfishing.

Then I got directions and went to get something to eat in Niagra on the lake. Got back. Place was full. There was about 15-20 nets right across. shoulder to shoulder.

On my Arrival I met a fellow board member Squig. He recognized me from my picture. Really cool guy.

My dad had caught a few. But the current was too fast for the 6x6 net we had. The drift was making it hard to pull with all that resistence. Note bring smaller net. Our smelt rig went through a severe beating.

Well we caught maybe a 1/4 of a bucket full and I wanted to leave. No room to fish and our smelt net was too boyant and kept drifting downstream on top. We left a little after 10. But there were some guys that had a bushel full of fish. You need a 4x4 net with a heavy body(Square steel frame type), some lights and your in business. Just get their early.

Anyways. I didn't know how to get home so I decided the best way would be to head north on Niagra prky. I finally see a sign that says QEW next left. Then I seen another sign saying QEW next left. Then I see another sign saying QEW next left. Do you see what I'm getting at? We were driving for almost an hour and we end up BACK IN QUENNSTON. I was fuming. All Queenston needs is to grow some corn fields and change its name to Gatlin.lol I finally seen a sign for the QEW right in town! angry.gif We didn't get home till a little after 12.

Every time I go to the Area I get lost(south of Hamilton). They have to seriously update some of those signs! Lucky my dad filled up the gas tank or we would have been stranded.

Well at least I know where the Queenston launch is.lol

All I can say is that I cant wait to get the rod out. :)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Johnny, don't be shy about asking directions. All I can picture is you going round and round at that little turn about at the top of the hill! :lol:

Squig you say? hmmm. Mr trout bum himself! Did he have any fish to speak of? Anyone getting any bows?
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

thanks for the info about queenston. Sounds like it is a nitemare trying to get a few smelt.
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

great to meet you JB :) our net was a little on the light side also (1/4" round bar frame) as the drift was a bit much. next frame will be out of 3/8" to keep it where you throw it, the further out you throw it and get it to stay put the more you haul in. my friend was getting frustrated with the wieght of the net and we called it quits at around midnight and brought home 1/2 a blue box full (about a 5gallon pail for friends and family). havent had smelts in about 15yrs and need a bigger freezer :D

Markus
Mr trout bum!! :lol: :lol: . thats a good one. didnt see any bows caught but did try when we first got there. hoping to get out on sunday for another shot at salmon but cant get out till after lunch.

Crash
its not all that bad :)

chris
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Shy about Asking for directions? There wasnt even a squirrel in sight. That place is a ghost town. the corner store closes a 7pm!! Although on the way back home we did see a Racoon, A skunk, a possible ground hog, a fox. I was waiting for a deer but no luck. :)

I actually seen one guy on rollerblades. I pulled over to ask him a question and he kept on roller blading. I was tempted to make a U turn and run him over.lol

Squig was there smelt fishing with a bud and they had a little more than half a bushel of smelts. They were regulars and had the right setup for the current.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Johnny Bass wrote: I actually seen one guy on rollerblades. I pulled over to ask him a question and he kept on roller blading. I was tempted to make a U turn and run him over.lol
Was your shirt on or off? :lol:
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Hey Squig. Ya the drift was something else. We never had any problems at Simcoe with that net. My net looked like it was mauled by Piranhas. :shock:

We were pulling in big rocks that the drift was dragging down river.

We even pulled in a car bumper. :shock:

Easy for you to say Squig, you are familiar with the area. I had a heck of a time, one for the fishing story books.lol

But it was nice to get out and do some smelt fishing. Its been maybe 10-20 years for me. And I just had myself a fry and they were good.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Are you kidding me Markus? I had 2 shirts on. It was a bit chilly. Come summer time I donate all my shirts to charity. :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Johnny Bass wrote:Come summer time I donate all my shirts to charity. :lol:
That's funny. The last 2 clothing charities I spoke with were actually looking for you to give you a few shirts! :lol: :lol:
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Ok I will throw in a shirt also.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

No they told me they had an over flow of inventory due to all the shirts I donate and had to give some of my shirts back. :D Its Molson Candians fault for supplying all those free shirts in the 24's :D Speaking of T-Shirts. Molsons getting cheap this year, now that they started selling clothes and they are privatized. I may have to really actually buy T-Shirts now.

So ya thanks Crash. My size is Large to extra large.(depends if I am flexing or not) :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I prefer anything with a TML(leafs), Fishing or beer logo :) :D
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Don't fight ladies. There's plenty of Johnny Bass for all of ya's! :lol: :lol:
BigPike
Participant
Participant

Post by BigPike »

It's been a Long time since I whent smelting, I use to go with my Dad about 15 years ago in the Wawa area, Old Women Bay River, now the water levels are lower and the they seem not come there as much now!!!! Good times!!!
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Hey Markus. I'm not as young as I used to be. 2 or 3 woman a day is enough for me. :D

Ya I hear ya big pike. I remeber going with my dad too at night and building bon fires and buying hot soup and junk food from the coffee trucks that used to come buy.

I remember catching trout, Pike, Eels in the nets. Always a surprise for a kid.
And i would pick up all the smelts when my dad through them on the ground. Those were the days.

Hopefully they revive Simcoes smelt fishery so I can bring My Kid up there some day. Or even better clean up Lake Ontario. If I am not mistaken. We used to also go to the end of Leslie street and fish for them years ago.